Can gar have an internal seasonal clock?

CretaceousCreatures101

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2015
Oakland County, Michigan
I've been thinking about this a lot lately and was wondering if it's possible. My Florida gar has been very lethargic the past few months. He barely eats at all, and at times I forget he's even in the tank because he is usually resting on the bottom or behind decorations.
However, now that spring is here he is eating like a monster, and is always out and about, cruising around the tank. And he is almost perfectly in synch with wild fish becoming active and spawning in local ponds.
What I find strange about this is the fact that he's been in captivity for at least seven months now, or longer (I'm not sure if he's wild caught or captive bred). So I was wondering, is it possible that he can remember the changing of the seasons instinctively? If so, can other fish do this as well?

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
Absolutely. Especially if the fish has been exposed to ambient light. I suggested the possibility that all the African Pikes that have spawned together so closely lately, might have something to do with that exact thing. Who knows.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store