CARCHARODON MEGALODON SIGHTINGS

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
+1 to the above...it "became" the great white shark.

I for one wish these did exsist. Seeing one naturally in the wild would be a great experience...

Im on the west coast now to spear, and get a chance to see its remaining cousin. :D

ZaphyreRyu

Feeder Fish
Sep 4, 2011
pa
I understand and you are right, the big ocean is so full of mystery...we are yet to know half of lives down there. The earth is 70% water, even mysterious land animals are yet to be uncovered and to speak about what's in the water....:eek:

But the arguments against the survival of Megalodon is that like the Great White, Megalodon was a warm water predator cruising at the coastal, but not such deep water predator as the temperature can be so low ( but then what about the water being extremely hot deep down there with the presence of valcanos? Around this temperature, it should keep the water warm enough for fish that requires it )...besides it must be with such high metabolism, and they definitely can't be feeding off squids, what would those dagger like teeth be designed for if not to take lots of big fish besides squids ( if Megalodon did at all ).

And being so big, it should be spotted...and there should be more than one, breeding...and the numbers should be increasing if it's surviving. Who knows...so they speak until they got shut up like they did with the survival of Coelacanth, Megamouth Shark, Giant Squids and so on.:D I am not on any side of the debate, but to think of a Meg surviving in the deep ocean still sounds very exciting as well as shocking..it's a pretty scary stuff....if they have survived, maybe they have evolved...that they went deep under the sea and come out rarely...that would suck if such thing Meg does, I would prefer Megs coming and attacking like Great Whites.:D

The best is not not expect so much from Megalodon...it can be disappointing no matter how magnificent this predator truly is. Can a Carcharodon Megalodon ever disappoint? How big was it truly? The first eyewitness account was truly unbelievable...

actually it has been proven that predator species will alter their normal patterns to that of there prey. if you consider a shark of that magnitude would need to eat huge creatures they would probably be feeding on giant and collosal squid sperm whales and possibly the occasional blue whale. outside of the blue all of these creatures live or feed at amazing depths, the above mentioned squid feed at around 30000 feet and most likely live farther down. sperm whales eat those and even more amazingly scientists have found blue whale and sperm whale carcases washed up on shore with ten foot single bite marks taken from the sides. now i dont know about you but i dont know of any shark or any other creature with jaws that large. even the megamouth shard is a krill eater therefor no teeth. so if darwin is correct then the major population of megalodons moved lower into the oceans while those that stayed top side became the modern great whites and bulls. that being said the only way to prove if they are still around or not would be to see one (id rather not be swimming or diving if i do) or to find a white megalodon tooth dated in the last 100 or less years. but to completely discount that they could still exist simply based on where they swam or more acurately ruled all those years ago is folly. in fact in the meg novel series the author explains this himself, stating that they would follow there prey and the reason we probably havent seen them is that they have adapted to volcanic waters of the ocean floor in the marina area (the challanger deep) and the colder waters in between would kill them if they ever tried to rise to the surfice.

wantokeeptrout

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2011
Ontario
Megalodon surviving is a nice peace of fiction. There is no way a high metabolism fish that big could not have been discovered. based on the great white it could not survive in cold water, limiting the possible range. A fish that size would need to eat vast amounts of food each day to survive. there is no way that much food is available in the deep ocean to support a population of these monsters. even if there was enough it would be in the form of small animals. Megalodon preyed on huge whales which are surface animals. if it still existed it would have to feed on the great whales, which is problematic as seasonally the majoraty of great whales enter cooler water where meg would have been unable to follow. 24,000 may be recent but that is still plenty of time for something to go extinct. we have evidence that there were wolly mammoths 10 000BC and a small population went extinct in 1700 BC. compared to 24 000BC It is likely we would have found at least some proof of this animal. the ceolecanth had millions of years to adapt to the the abyss, 24 000BC is nowhere near enough time for any adaptation that would get megalodon into the depths. the volcano theory is useless because it would have had to swim through the below freezing waters to reach the vents. Even if id did reach the vents there is no way any animal that size could find enough sustenance to survive. A neat fish, but one that is definately no longer with us

oscar fish lover2000

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2012
australia
Has anyone here read the MEG series by Steve Alten? they're very good books, i've belived that the Megalodon is still out there ever since i've read the books and seen an episode of monsterquest on the history channel about Megalodon sightings. But wouldn't it be funny if someone discovered that the Megalodon was just a tiny shark with massive teeth? :shark:

DariusAmurdarja

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2011
Düsseldorf
I think i have to correct something here. Great whites avoid warm waters. They do not live in warm waters and prefer cold areas. The great white has no problems with diving into the abyss. They are known to use the deep sea as travel area. And it should be noted, that the great white is one of the few fish, that is not endotherm. His blood has a higher temperature than the water around him.

But i doubt, that megalodon still exists. The orca filled it´s place.

Fishnthehood

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2010
Chino, CA
Great read ... very Interesting topic.

oscar fish lover2000

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2012
australia
zoomed.com