CARCHARODON MEGALODON SIGHTINGS

sandtiger

Captain Planet
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2005
NY
Danyal;756148; said:
what if white sharks are just sub-adult megs that come into the coastal areas for seals?
I'm not sure I know how to respond too this. Let's make this short and simple. They aren't the same species so the white shark cannot be a sub-adult meg.

Suggested reading:
http://www.elasmo-research.org/education/evolution/origin_megalodon.htm
http://www.elasmo-research.org/education/evolution/megalodon_lives.htm

R. Aidan Martin said it best.
There are those who would regard the extinction of Megalodon as a tragic loss, that our planet is somehow less wonderful for this great shark's passing. But I am not among them. If the history of life on Earth has taught us anything, it is that – fundamentally – species continually come and go. The sharks we have today – from the wonderfully bizarre hammerheads (family Sphyrnidae) and tiny, glow-in-the-dark lanternsharks (family Etmopteridae) to the gigantic, plankton-grazing Whale Shark (Rhincodon typus) to the awesome splendor of the mighty Great White (Carcharodon carcharias) – are plenty spectacular enough for me.

Fantasies can be harmless and a lot of fun, but those of us who can appreciate things as they really are can count ourselves among the very luckiest of people.

krj-1168

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2006
Eastern NC
what if white sharks are just sub-adult megs that come into the coastal areas for seals?
Boy - talk about - WHAT IFs.

Sorry to burst you bubble - the Great White shark is not a sub-adult MEG.

First - They have very Different Tooth morphologies.

Second - the Great White shark first appeared in the fossil record, some 3-12 million yrs(depending on who you ask) after the MEG did.

Third - The Great White & MEG are from two different lines of mackeral sharks. They aren't very closely related(maybe about as close as a Nurse shark & a bamboo shark). Certainly not the same species.

Btw - I tend to completely agree with - with what R. Aidan Martin said in the quote.

We have some awesome, incredible species of sharks still around today. Such as the Whale, the Tiger, the Mako, the Bull, The Great White, & The Blue. But also such wonderful species as Hammerheads, Blacktips, Whitetips, Sharpnoses, Nurses, Bamboos, Epaulettes, Carpet sharks, Wobbegongs, Horns, Catsharks, Dogfishes, & Smoothhounds. Got to love them all.

Sarcosuchus

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2006
Everywhere
Agreed:headbang2 And if a Meg is around and swimming coastal area, my my what type of Shark attacks they could be.:eek:

*Imagining a man swimming, turning back to see a HUGE wave coming after him...Megalodon*

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
We can speculate, but I don't. I can only hope.........

krj-1168

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2006
Eastern NC
Actually I don't really see - the MEG as a coastal species.

Think about Juvie Great Whites tend to prefer waters that are between 20-1,000 ft (6-300 meters) . Adult Great Whites(15-20 footers) - seem to prefer waters between 65 -3,280 ft (20-1,000 meters)

Given the size of modern realistic size estimates for MEG(of about 40-50 ft), it was almost certain a Pelagic species.

Like most of similar size Fish(i.e. Whale Shark) or Marine mammals (Humpback & Gray Whales), the Meg would likely stay in waters that are hundreds to over 10,000 ft.

We can speculate,
Sure.

So here's a little speculation.

If we look at it logically - the open ocean already supports several species that are the approximate size of the MEG, or larger. Including several species of Whales, & at least 2 species of sharks that similar in size(the Whale & Basking).

So logically, one would say that the oceans could easily still support the MEG.

But "if" (and I don't Believe it is), MEG still exists - then it is incredibly rare. Even rarer than species of Great Whales like the Humpback, or California Gray
which have populations numbering in the low 10,000 range. It would much rarer than the Great White -which may have a population range in the 10's of thousands world wide.

Surely if MEG still existed - it would have a population of about 1% of the Great White's - which means at best a few hundred individuals.

Which is one reason I highly doubt that it presently exists.

sprayin70

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2006
ga
Sarcosuchus, I really enjoyed reading all of your posts. It has been a while since I can remember being so entertained by a thread. IMHO in a debate you would win hands down! Great Job!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store