Carpintis Growth?

Cichlidshady

Banned
Aug 22, 2014
dallas
Hello I have a small carpintis in a 75 with a Green Terror and oscar. They are all pretty small and about the same size. And no im not keeping all three when they grow up i'm just keeping the Carpintis and Terror unless one needs to be re-homed. I was just wondering how quick do Carpintis grow, and what size can you sex them? here is my little carpintis, wouldn't harm a fly!Screenshot_2015-05-25-08-46-20[1].png

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Took mine about a year to go from this (@1")

to here, at @ 5"

Even at an inch (as in the first pic) you can see the 2 males have a steeper profile, than the more gradually sloped females.
When older, the dark blotch on the dorsal of the female may become more apparent (as in the pic below)

Reactions: sbgbuddy

Cichlidshady

Banned
Aug 22, 2014
dallas
Dang! yours seem alot nicer than mine does even at this small of a size

to here, at @ 5"

Even at an inch (as in the first pic) you can see the 2 males have a steeper profile, than the more gradually sloped females.
When older, the dark blotch on the dorsal of the female may become more apparent (as in the pic below)
[/QUOTE]

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Might be the lighting, yours looks good to me. The female in my pic, is in pre-spawning colors.
It does look like yours "might" be female by the gentle sslope of the profile, and rounding of the unpaired fins, but that's just speculation, as it may be too soon to tell.
Mine are H carpintus location chairel, as opposed to a simple aquarium strain, which is often mixed or hybrid with other species, or others of the clade, and can wash out distinct, and dramatic colors.
Others can inadvertently be crossbred with loc. escondido, or separate species like cyanoguttatus, deppii, or tamasopoensis (breeding crosses which I consider detrimental to the species).
Some tamasopo I had a few years ago below

Last edited:

Cichlidshady

Banned
Aug 22, 2014
dallas
Might be the lighting, yours looks good to me. The female in my pic, is in pre-spawning colors.
It does look like yours "might" be female by the gentle sslope of the profile, and rounding of the unpaired fins, but that's just speculation, as it may be too soon to tell.
Mine are H carpintus location chairel, as opposed to a simple aquarium strain, which is often mixed or hybrid with other species, or others of the clade, and can wash out distinct, and dramatic colors.
Others can inadvertently be crossbred with loc. escondido, or separate species like cyanoguttatus, deppii, or tamasopoensis (breeding crosses which I consider detrimental to the species).
Some tamasopo I had a few years ago below

True, I noticed how female the head profile looks on mine but I didn't know if female carpintis got the fin pattering or not like with Green Terrors as the females fin pattering is dark and not as vibrant. I don't even think my Carpintis is an inch i was hoping for a male but if I get a female that turns out like your then I'd be happy. Probably would be better as i'm already pushing the tank space

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store