Cichla + Potamotrygon Tank : I need your help in conception

ElTofi

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2011
Switzerland
the Myleus schomburgkii shoal is up to 14 fish (+ a very old pair M/F of Myloplus rubripinnis)

the females are around 15 cm SL and the males are + 20cm SL

very nice fish, but not particularly interessant... they swim, they hunt everything, they swim, they swim, they eat every single larvae or egg or fry... oh, yes, they swim and move around, too...

• Haha
Reactions: Matteus

warman98

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2010
Portugal
the Myleus schomburgkii shoal is up to 14 fish (+ a very old pair M/F of Myloplus rubripinnis)

the females are around 15 cm SL and the males are + 20cm SL

very nice fish, but not particularly interessant... they swim, they hunt everything, they swim, they swim, they eat every single larvae or egg or fry... oh, yes, they swim and move around, too...
But they bring a special element to the tank. I find it very tranquilizing watching a shoal of dollars swim across a tank. Makes a nice contrast with the monsters. Opinions I guess!

bonesb66

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2010
Birmingham
I find it tranquillising watching a shoal of myleus too, the fact they constantly move in unity is great, sometimes watching a big pred just slowly bob through the water can get dull, active shoals gives a new excitement to the tank, it reminds me of nature videos where you see all the fish we know in their ecosystems and all shapes and sizes behave in different manners

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ElTofi

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2011
Switzerland
They do move all the time indeed but not in unity at all. Maybe because they have place and are quite confident. But you're right, it brings "bio diversity" in that tank. Especially in the topic of behaviours

ElTofi

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2011
Switzerland
good news in my big tank : the Leo x P14 female stingray had already "delivered" in July... she was gravid when I bought her, covered by a Leopoldi male...

two puppies from July

this is the male Leo x Black Diamond when he arrived by me, in March 2012... now he's twice this size (45 cm) and he's the father of a second batch

small picture of this December 5th batch, with 4 new pups (sadly one female didn't make it through the first 24 hours)

I'm quite glad !

and soon, I guess I'll have news from Panaque L191, Panaque schaeferi and who knows, from Osteoglossum, too...

love this tank !

Reactions: Matteus

ElTofi

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2011
Switzerland
here's a vid from the pups of this batch :

[video=youtube_share;pPZoIsAm3Oc]http://youtu.be/pPZoIsAm3Oc?list=UUiSsWuMCEWCaKeB1xPN2NPQ[/video]

ElTofi

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2011
Switzerland
[video=youtube_share;oFJKa-N_TFk]http://youtu.be/oFJKa-N_TFk?list=UUiSsWuMCEWCaKeB1xPN2NPQ[/video]

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store