CO2 for 40 gallon planted

Sicktrick89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2010
Massachusetts
Hey everyone, I'm looking to add co2 to my 40 gallon breeder planted tank. Im not looking to spend a fortune on regulators and tanks but also looking for something a little better than a DIY setup or Fluval setup. If y'all could help with suggestions and or links Id be very thankful. I think Id like to stay in the $100 range after everything is purchased. Thanks again.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I think your best bet will be to do lots of research, and maybe look online to see if you can get any deals...

Coz the way i see it right now is you pretty much only have two routes to go, either D.I.Y, or Pressurized... if you go Pressurized, then you'll just have to fork out the money, or maybe go for a smaller pressurized setup... i.e. maybe buy a smaller Co2 container, single head regulator etc...

I'm sure it can be put together for around $100, at least for me over here i got my inital setup completed for around USD $100 which included 1L bottle / single head regular / ceramic diffuser / bubble counter / Co2 hose i got it for around that price, maybe a little cheaper...

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
For 40G tank easiest is just buy mini pressurized system that use 4 or 8 oz bottle.
If you want to DIY and bigger system then go to PaintBall/Airshop store near you and buy CO2 bottle and refill CO2 in future (metal bottle is cheapest but the fiber glass bottle much better), all other parts can easily order from Amazon and free shipping if you are Prime member.

Sicktrick89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2010
Massachusetts
I would like to use a paintball sized bottle but don't know what i need for a regulator, adapter and so on. Any help with that would be appreciated

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
If you expand your budget by maybe $40 or so, you could get a really nice system with a solenoid (which allows you to put your CO2 on a timer and never have to touch the valve... this is something you will quickly start to wish you had if you don't get one to begin with). My recommendation would be to buy a 20oz paintball tank from Dick's Sporting Goods (around $20, and the first fill up is free; after that it costs $4.50 for a refill, but every 5th refill is free), then get an Aquatek Mini CO2 regulator for $90, and a ceramic diffuser for maybe $10-20. This puts you around $120-140 before shipping/tax. The regulator comes with a cheap bubble counter and some CO2 tubing, so you don't have to worry about that.

http://www.amazon.com/AQUATEK-OF-CALIFORNIA-Regulator-Mini/dp/B008TJCPSY
http://www.amazon.com/U-P-Aqua-Supe...sr=1-1&keywords=ceramic+co2+diffuser+atomizer

Even if you don't have a timer, you'll still find the solenoid incredibly useful, as it is much easier to simply unplug your CO2 system and plug it back in, than it is to manually shut off the valve at night and then try and get it set just right again in the morning. I did this for several months with my old regulator, and I had enough after a while. Lol

Reactions: benzjamin13

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
What plants to you want to keep?

Sicktrick89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2010
Massachusetts
Thanks for the help jclyde, right now i have some staurgyne repens, dwarf sag, moneywort and a large amazon sword. Id like to get those foreground plants into a nice carpet.

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I'm with jclyde13 jclyde13 Open up your budget a little bit more and I can tell you that it's worth it. I have the Aquatek Mini Regulator with the Solenoid on a 24oz Paintball tank. Also get a timer. It's worth it. I've left my CO2 on twice by mistake and killed off most of the fish. A timer and solenoid will decrease those chances. I have it hooked up to a 37g Tall at 2 bps. It's been going for 6 months now and I've refilled the tank once (first tank wasn't even full when I first hooked this up). I also have it hooked up to an inline atomizer connected to my canister filter.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store