College advice?

ichthyogeek

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2015
Arkansas
So I'm going to be starting college this fall. I'm debating between three majors (Computer Science, premed, and something fish related). For those in professions relating to fish, such as hatcheries, aquaculture, etc, can I get some advice please? I already know what premed involves, as well as CS. However, the only thing I know about fish, is what I've learned about with my aquariums. Freshwater conservation (ponds, streams, etc.) isn't really my thing, due to my severe aversion to amphibians. I was thinking something along the lines of aquaculture, hatcheries, or marine biology in general. I'm still not certain what I want to do for a living in the future, but knowledge is always useful when I need to choose my major (approximately 2 years from now). Thank you!

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Look at the degree plan for whatever degree that your university offers that is fish related.
Example: the school I'm attending offers a degree in fish and wildlife ecology. So I wanted to wanted to know what I'm going to learning. So I'd look up the degree plan either on the university's main site or on the departments site.
http://aces.nmsu.edu/academics/fws/documents/class-descriptions.pdf

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
You could try to find a school that offers a fishiers biology degree. The college I just graduated from in May is actually where the program began. They're tough classes but worth it in the end if you enjoy working with fish. I have one friend working at a hatchery in Alaska, two more at a Striper hatchery in central PA and a handful more at trout hatcheries or working for States as a fisheries biologist.

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
I have a fish and wildlife degree, and am fortunate to have a job in my field. To be honest, fisheries jobs are far and few between. If that is your passion, then go for it. But keep in mind it's a tough field to get into. Maybe have a plan B.

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
Don't look at anything but your textbooks, that's the best advice I can give you :)

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
I'm currently in CS and its rough man. At my university the amount of knowledge you "should" know according to the professors is nearly unbearable which is practical with all universities that offer a cs program. They expect you to know how to program in html, php, assembly, c, c++, java, etc. Honestly I hate programming and everything to do with it except the logic, its logical and thankfully I think logically. I choose this major because of the money and opportunity. If you want to provide for your family a CS degree will be able to provide a very comfortable living. With it being one of the highest paying majors and also one of the most demanding I would at least try the first level classes.

I know many people that graduate with a bio degree which is very respectable but they NEED a graduate school which is about another 4 years to start making real money while CS degree's are on average about 5 years with no graduate school. CS majors where I live make around 60-70k on average right outta college, and 5 years later it jumps to 90-120k depending on how "good" you are. So I chose the computer science route instead of the pre med.

I know people say do what your passion is but screw them, its all about the money. The money will make you happy, many people will say I'm short minded but I'm just logical. If you love your loved ones and family wouldn't you want to provide for them rather than do what your passion is and live pay check to pay check watching them live near poverty?

Just some of my thoughts so don't take it to seriously. Just know if you hard for 4-5 years now you'll play the rest of your life. If you play now you'll work the rest of your life. You're young so take some time to think about what you want, college isn't for everyone and that's ok, there's more than one way to be an educated man. I'll leave you with this, Colonel Sanders is educated in the art of making Kentucky fried chicken, there is more than one way to be an educated man.

Siddons11

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
USA
Why not engineering? You'd be surprised how much engineering goes into building a fish tank. You'll make about the same as a CS major and your knowledge can be used for useful things.
You could do civil, environmental, agricultural, chemical, etc.

ichthyogeek

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2015
Arkansas
Why not engineering? You'd be surprised how much engineering goes into building a fish tank. You'll make about the same as a CS major and your knowledge can be used for useful things.
You could do civil, environmental, agricultural, chemical, etc.
Because, tbh, engineering doesn't really excite me as much as CS, Pre-med, or marine bio do. Marine bio, I already love. Pre-med, I've grown up with. CS, while new, I think could grow on me.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Once something becomes a job it loses its shining specialnes.

I wanted to go to the DNR until I researched job availability. As spot fin mentioned about job availability is key.

A degree without any job is just an expensive pice of paper.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store