Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

controlling smell in turtle tanks

Discussion in 'Reptiles, Amphibians and Other Exotic Pets' started by djb, Jul 31, 2010.

1. djb

djb MFK Members

Last Activity:
      Dec 21, 2014
      alright my sister has 4 red ear sliding turtles and she cleans the water everyother day an the filter just about every day she has an ac filter and the smell gets really bad and she dosnt want to get ride of them because she bought them from a flee market an they all were realy sick an she ended up saveing there lives so she kind of atatched to them so whats the best way for getting ride of the smell

2. krzr3000

krzr3000 MFK Members

Last Activity:
      Jun 15, 2013
      How big are they/what size tank? Sounds like it might not be big enough if water changes that often aren't fixing the smell. water fouling too fast

3. HerpHunter77

HerpHunter77 MFK Members

Last Activity:
      Mar 21, 2012
      my tanks alway smell even though i have a fluval 204 filter. :/ ?

4. snakeguy101

snakeguy101 MFK Members

Last Activity:
      Feb 12, 2015
      Student, Zoo keeper & assistant curator of the nat
      With turtles it is best to get a filter that is rated twice the size of the tank per turtle in the tank. For example, if there is one turtle in a 55 gallon tank, get a filter rated around 110 gallons, if you add another turtle in there, get a filter rated for around 220 gallons, etc... This is my rule of thumb and it is a little excessive but trust me it will keep the smell non existent.

5. HerpHunter77

HerpHunter77 MFK Members

Last Activity:
      Mar 21, 2012
      my filter is BIG. it was used for a pond before i used it for my turtle tank

6. GhostShrimpMan

GhostShrimpMan MFK Members

Last Activity:
      Feb 2, 2015
      Education
      :iagree:

7. Citrinellus

Citrinellus MFK Members

Last Activity:
      Apr 8, 2014
      Whats the gallon per hour rating?

8. knifegill

knifegill MFK Members

Last Activity:
      Friday at 6:00 PM
      If you cycle the turtle tank, the smell ought to go away. Get a test kit and check the water parameters. There should be 0 ammonia, 0 nitrItes, and nitrAtes will vary wildly in a turtle tank.

One HOB will not be enough. I had one painted terrapin in a 210 gallon with minimal filtration and there just wasn't enough media surface area to handle the waste level of him. This was back when I was a n00b, so I ended up giving the turtle away in frustration. These days, I would simply add more filters, try to build a sump, etc. Turtles make so much ammonia that fish calculations will fail you. Think of one turtle as 50 gallons worth of pollution on average.

9. krzr3000

krzr3000 MFK Members

Last Activity:
      Jun 15, 2013
      But aren't you the one with 10 turtles in the tank? Or was that someone else...?

10. rrcoolj

rrcoolj MFK Members

Last Activity:
      May 3, 2014
      Either way I believe the tank will smell to some extent. Turtles are messy creatures. When I had mine no matter how clear the water was it always had a little smell.