Convicts or hybrids

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
So just because they are in the same genus, they are the same fish? If the different "convict-type" cichlids have diverged enough to become geographically distinct populations and if they are found to be morphologically different enough to be classified as different species then any interbreeding would technically produce a hybrid. I wonder who is the one lacking common sense here... Are all Parachromis species the same in your book? Going by your logic, are Herichthys carpinte and Herichthys cyanoguttatus, closely related as they are, the same species?

It is with such ridiculously ignorant attitudes that hybrids are produced and propagated in the hobby, and with the fact that pretty much all central American species interbreed so readily it becomes more and more difficult to obtain pure stock, which I find desperately sad.
Obviously you misinterpreted what my point is there.I said that there is a possibility that they could all be the same species and the different regions they made them adapt different traits. I never said that they were all the same species of fish but come from the same ancestor obviously if they of the same genus . Like stated before we decend from apes and technically are apes but we have to more advanced the gorillas we are related to.

Sent from my Comet

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
Sigh, more idiocy. I won't even bother.
There's no need to be rude and say things like when he's right. Since you seem to be a scientist and know it all then enlighten us. Other then that keep your two ¢ in your pocket and keep it moving.

Sent from my Comet

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
If you're wondering, then they're hybrids.

Matt
The blue (undescribed) HRP is from Rio Danli (Honduras).

Just about every stream in Central America has a "convict" (and many also have a cutteri / spilurum-type fish). They're all different. Whether they're all different enough to warrant being called different species is up to scientists to debate.

But aquarists, at least those interested in maintaining pure lines, should keep "convicts" from different places separate to ensure that they don't interbreed.

I have no faith that convicts from an LFS, Petsmart, etc. or anywhere that doen't have a (credible) provenance to a wild population are "pure" to a particular location. Not to say that they aren't amazing fish that are worth keeping (I have a wonderful pair of LFS pink convicts).

I also keep and breed wild-type "cons" from:
- Rio Choluteca
- Rio Claro
- Rio Danli
- Rio Monga
- Rio Robolo / Boca del Toro
- Lago Nicaragua
- Rio Cabayo
- Lago Coatepeque
- Grenada, Nicaragua
- Leucistic HRPs (which I think are a sport from Rio Danli fish)

...all in different tanks... all with provenance to wild fish!

Matt
Yes I completely agree like the blue pair I posted all lfs cons are hybrids. I also agree if they aren't collected from the wild then they are hybrids or atleast safe to assume it is. Even collected wild fish can potentially be hybrids also.

Sent from my Comet

Madness

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2010
Puyallup, WA
Obviously you misinterpreted what my point is there.I said that there is a possibility that they could all be the same species and the different regions they made them adapt different traits. I never said that they were all the same species of fish but come from the same ancestor obviously if they of the same genus . Like stated before we decend from apes and technically are apes but we have to more advanced the gorillas we are related to.

Sent from my Comet
Really, I dont think we were misinterpreting you.

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
Really, I dont think we were misinterpreting you.
You mean yourself everyone else seemed to understand my point.

Sent from my Comet

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store