Cycling Methods & Procedures

thebestincali2000

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2006
chico ,california
if i was to do the live rock/live sand method, how much rock and sand would i need? im going to get a 75 gallon tank tomorrow and am going to purchase all of the stuff i need while im there... ive heard that i should have a sand bed of about 3-5 inches and about 2 lbs of rock per gallon, im just not sure if this is true or not as ive heard many conflicting suggetions

k.tran

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2009
In a Room
dont do 2lbs of rock per gallon you'll just have a huge ugly rock pile. with a DSB (deep sand bed) you can do 1/4lb/gallon about so you can actually do a nice aquascape.

RegalAngel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2009
The Redwood Reef
RegalAngel;4118403; said:
I would recommend Right Now! bacteria for a 24 hr cycle. I am a user and it works!

See last photo here for detailed water testing using this bacteria in my 300g SW system.

http://bwclark.smugmug.com/Aquariums

I am now a user of Seachem's Stability. I recently restarted after a filtration system redo my 300g setup and used Stability....no ammonia whatsoever!
I also use it whenever I need use my 40g QT. Just add the fish, and then add the Stability daily for 7 days....done! Never have had ammonia.

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
I'm going to cycle a 5 gallon tank as a quarantine system. Can i just run the filter on my main for a few weeks, then fill the 5 gallon with water from the ,main and then placed the filter in?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store