Debunked: CO2-Myth --- See tanks without carbon dioxide fertilization

thedandelionking

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
United States
View attachment 869558

This is my baby... Hopefully I'm gonna launch this as an official trend but I have to say my favorite part of planted tanks now are above and floating on the water...

In this picture you can see two tanks of mine... the first is my main amazonian "biotope" tank 120 gallons with an FX5 and an Ehiem 2213 feeding what I call a hydroponics filter. While its clear that this tank is well filtered I'm currently also running a 60 gallon Hex with only a hydroponics filter only fed with a powerhead. Now before I go any further I'll explain what I mean by Hydroponics filter even though I'm sure many of you already understand what I'm talking about. Basically you plant some pothos or bamboo or pretty much any other houseplant in a hang on back filter you will simultaneously clean your water better than the best filter material or biowheel while also turning that side of your tank into an emergent jungle paradise. I'm experimenting with a 3d printer really soon to try and create a commercially viable filter system that works off this principle and I'd welcome any help if anyone wants to join in on the project.

A little bit on the tanks inhabitants.... while i've never been one for silver dollars my cousin recently had to get rid of some of his fish and since I could only take things that worked with my amazonian theme I ended up with two red hook silver dollars which I didn't mind because the red hook for me made them muuuch more interesting... and since I've had them in my tank I have to say I give them two very enthusiastic thumbs up. First because they are quite big and active but actually spend a lot of time shoaling. My eventual goal is to build a multiple thousand gallon plywood tank with a full wall of of plants behind it and down into the water and one of the primary reasons is because while 5 grown red hooks is fun I'm pretty sure 20 of them would be ****ing awesome... so thats the plan. The only downside is these guys have quite the appetite and I can say for sure that they are omnivorous so super small fish and certain plants beware. Past that I have a pair of chocolate cichlids that seem to be particular to caves, three Uarus who are totally the three stooges of my tank, 3 sterbai corys, 1 loricaria and two appistos that live amongst the giants quite peacefully...

I also have a breeding pair of severums in the tank next to the big one for breeding and two festivums and a slew of serpaes and neons in the 60 gallon hex....

So there... this is my first post... lets talk fish

lennym

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2013
devon
i have a low tech tank, low lighting low light plants with tannic water with no CO2 but great growth and a high tech that i tried to do without co2 then got algae, added co2 and the algae stopped

DeCASpecOps

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 12, 2013
Us
Ok so maybe myth debunked is a strong term. Having said that as someone new to heavy planted tanks( had a 75g tank with a few plants) I always thought you NEEDED co2 to have a heavy planted tank. After reading this thread I am thinking a little different. Can co2 help well there is little doubt of that. However is it a must. not for the vast majority at least that is the conclusion I have drawn. A very very good read from start to finish. Great posts from several people on both sides of the argument. Thank you much for.the info.

DeCASpecOps

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 12, 2013
Us
Excellent info Harley I have learned a lot from this thread and am very glad you decided to kick this hornets nest. I will hopefully be setting up a new tank of 75g or more depending on space in new house and I plan on using the info I found here.

fishbum

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2007
Antarctica
I still fail to see where the myth is. With that said, here are some tanks I have kept without CO2.

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Tanks with CO2
[/IMG]001.JPG

001.JPG

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Nice tank. I still have planted tanks. Ones with CO2 and ones without. Some of the ones with the CO2 have low light plants.Low light plants with CO2 will grow faster. The age of the bulbs, as well as ferts, what size of tank it is, as well as what the tank is stocked with all play factors in how well a non CO2 tank will grow. No one is saying , at least I'm not, that planted tanks need pressurized CO2. But it certainly makes the plants look fuller, healthier, and is easier to accomplish this IMO. If you don't mind taking your time with plant growth, then don't use CO2. And, in the grand scheme of keeping fish, pressurized CO2 does not cost that much. But really, when was this ever a myth?
+1

Co2 undoubtedly helps but I think the "myth" consist of practicality vs cost.

I'm new to the planted game but I have had great success in establishing my tank with various plants. They took off and are extremely healthy.

Before pruning:

After

×Go S Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 3x WDC!!!×

Cheap way to decrease nitrates and keep your fish healthy: http://monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504763

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy,

Did you try w/o CO2 first?

I noticed your piranha in the tank...that might also be the reason for good plant growth. I have some plant species that need a bit more attention and ferts now that my pirayas are gone.

Bottle the p poop and sell it ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store