Debunked: CO2-Myth --- See tanks without carbon dioxide fertilization

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Howdy,

Did you try w/o CO2 first?

I noticed your piranha in the tank...that might also be the reason for good plant growth. I have some plant species that need a bit more attention and ferts now that my pirayas are gone.

Bottle the p poop and sell it ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Haha yea I started with no co2, slower growth and now I just got a Madagascar lace plant which I hear needs co2 injection. Either way P poop is a good fert ;)

×Go S Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 3x WDC!!!×

Cheap way to decrease nitrates and keep your fish healthy: http://monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504763

jpappy789

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2007
MN
Here's my 20 long without CO2 injection...although I use a glut product (Excel) so that's kinda cheating. Nymphaea isn't there anymore. Gorgeous plant but got way out of hand!

I think the title of the thread is poorly worded, but I guess the point is still valid. You certainly don't need to use extra CO2 or carbon but you can't deny the limitations...

anfield

Feeder Fish
Dec 8, 2013
MI
Really interesting thread this.
So are some poster saying that in low tech setups with no CO2 added, if you avoid fast growers that hog CO2 you could in theory grow plants like HC? What CO2 hogs should one avoid?

OBlitzO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2014
New York
From my understanding defusing more CO2 into the water can accelerate growth. You can still get the same growth with out it if everything is ship shape. I don't use CO2 and my plants are always growing. Its all about balance.

Reactions: AlG

Progar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2014
Hoover, AL
Great tips thank you! I haven't heard of Liebig's Law yet but the concept makes a lot of sense. I am setting a new 240g in the next couple of weeks and have the lighting system to produce some beautiful plants. I was on the fence about the CO2 reactor but glad I found this article to sway me against leaving me to focus on other important aspects of the planted setup.

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Hi, this might seem stupid but I have a tank with 8 small and 2 med goldfish that I want to keep planted with ambulia (sp?) for them to eat when they get the munchies (I know, I'm CRAZY). I'm wondering if co2 would help give it a chance to grow back before they completely destroy it, or at least cut my plant purchases down a bit.. Because I'm buying 5-6 bunches (5 stems = 1 bunch down here) every week and at $6.50 each its getting a little costly lol. I use Flourish root tabs and leave the light on for around 12 hours a day, I'd hoped the waist from 10 goldfish would do the rest.. But they eat it so quickly.. Would co2 help? Or am I just guna have to keep buying plants yo replace the ones they eat? :) also sorry for posting on an old thread, but I didn't see the point of making a new one either.. Then I found this and figured I'd ask here. :)

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy

. At the rate goldfish eat, you would need a huge heavily planted tank to keep it going.

. CO2 might help you a bit if everything else is optimized as well, i.e. quality high intensity lights, regularly new bulbs. Furthermore, you'll need liquid fertilizers more than root tabs.

Good luck

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
They're in a 5 foot 400ltr aquarium that has at least 150 stems in it, as well as other plants.. But its shrinking by the day. I brought almost $300 worth about two months ago, and that's all I have left.. And I've been adding to it for about 3 weeks now.. Do you by any chance know the "optimal" conditions for this plant? And if so, are they anything like the conditions for goldfish? There's heaters in the tank keeping it at 23°c, its not coldwater. Otherwise its tailored to the Goldfish's needs. Also, thanks for the quick response. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store