Diffrence in Red head barred Midas

Jdreal21

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2014
Miami fl
looking at rapps stock list and I'm loving that Nicaraguan red head barred Midas but I want to know the difference between the ones collected in Nicaragua and the ones collected in Costa Rica anyone that owns any post pics and any info would be appreciated

newworld

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2008
chicago
It's a trade name used to just get more money for the same fish, no difference I've been to a few spots on nicaragua, some barred ones have pink or red some not and all found together.....

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
The red head Midas on Rapps' site is a red citrinellum, he posts exactly where it was collected "San Francisco Libre". I looked it up on a map, it's by some water, Jeff Rapps said it was caught in the wild from there--good enough for me.

I bought mine a couple months ago, he's very calm, not overly violent so far. But, I have him in a big tank with bigger fish, too.

He eats a lot, nobody'll mess with him except for a smaller Trimac that's a whole nother story. His bars come and go all the time, he has REAL long trailers on the end of his fins. He grows pretty fast, and has zero interest in caves, cover, flower pots, none of that. In open water always. I figure mine is 7-8 inches now, mostly put on girth since I've had him.

Pics of mine are in my 540 Vieja tank "mostly pics" post further down in this forum.

Jdreal21

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2014
Miami fl
It's a trade name used to just get more money for the same fish, no difference I've been to a few spots on nicaragua, some barred ones have pink or red some not and all found together.....
ok but does the Costa Rican barred Midas look the same as the Nicaraguan one I kno it's the same fish and most is the same just want to kno if there colors will be more vibrant or dull depending where there collected from or does it vary just like the Nicaraguan like you said some can be pink and some can have the red..long story short of I get the fry he has from Costa Rica I'd it possible to grow out one that looks like the pic he has posted of the Nicaraguan one

The red head Midas on Rapps' site is a red citrinellum, he posts exactly where it was collected "San Francisco Libre". I looked it up on a map, it's by some water, Jeff Rapps said it was caught in the wild from there--good enough for me.

I bought mine a couple months ago, he's very calm, not overly violent so far. But, I have him in a big tank with bigger fish, too.

He eats a lot, nobody'll mess with him except for a smaller Trimac that's a whole nother story. His bars come and go all the time, he has REAL long trailers on the end of his fins. He grows pretty fast, and has zero interest in caves, cover, flower pots, none of that. In open water always. I figure mine is 7-8 inches now, mostly put on girth since I've had him.

Pics of mine are in my 540 Vieja tank "mostly pics" post further down in this forum.
Saw yours very nice thats the same one from rapps that I'm asking about or a diffrent one?

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
What I got was the "wild managua" midas, it was 5 inches when I got it. You're talking about the Rio Tempisque, I think.

Jdreal21

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2014
Miami fl
What I got was the "wild managua" midas, it was 5 inches when I got it. You're talking about the Rio Tempisque, I think.
That's the one I want from Managua but if the rio Tempisque is the same and I'm not guaranteed the red red head like I want then I'll go with the cheaper of the 2 but for that color id pay more just want to have the more vibrant one

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
That's the one I want from Managua but if the rio Tempisque is the same and I'm not guaranteed the red red head like I want then I'll go with the cheaper of the 2 but for that color id pay more just want to have the more vibrant one
that's easy, just ask Rapps. He'll sell you the reddest one he has, tell you if he thinks they'll stay red as adults, how much variation there is between all the fish that were collected. I'd like to know all that myself. I just wanted a Midas, even a grey one, so when I saw Rapps had the red ones I grabbed one up. I didn't know they even made red ones, so it wasn't a deal breaker for me.

You have room to keep 2 of each? THAT would be cool.....ya know....if ya did that and made an update thread so I could see and all :)

Jdreal21

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2014
Miami fl
that's easy, just ask Rapps. He'll sell you the reddest one he has, tell you if he thinks they'll stay red as adults, how much variation there is between all the fish that were collected. I'd like to know all that myself. I just wanted a Midas, even a grey one, so when I saw Rapps had the red ones I grabbed one up. I didn't know they even made red ones, so it wasn't a deal breaker for me.

You have room to keep 2 of each? THAT would be cool.....ya know....if ya did that and made an update thread so I could see and all :)
I was just asking before I asked him Didn't want to bother him with noob questions but your right I can just ask him..and i kinda have the space for 2 but he only has males left and I don't need 2 males right now trying to use the space I have on the fishroom wisely.do you kno if I breed him to any other midas as far as fry looking like him do I need another just like him to get the same or can he produce red heads with a normal looking female barred or not I've never bred midas so I don't know how the genetics work

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I've never bred any fish, I have no clue. This is the first Midas I've ever had.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store