DIY 6 Gallon Bucket Canister Filter

BushFishRox

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2007
Mississauga, Ont Canada
Jgray152;1902918; said:
Im not trying to sell it. That would be rediculous especially when I don't even have it built and tested yet. I was asking if there would be any interest "IF" it was a success.

Don't think it can? Calculations say it could be thats all theory so yes testing needs to be done after its built
Ya since I used to make couplings and valves and what not for fire trucks, I know what water can do. Which is why I am highly doubtful that a plastic bucket can handle the pressure of 2000+ GPH...

also at 2000GPH that 6gal filter will cycle 333 times an hour so I doubt that will be enough contact time for efficient bio filtration...

Jgray152

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2006
NH
I checked my notes again and I figured for 1000-1500 gph not 2000-2500. Don't know where I got that from. It would be about 1.2" per second and 2000gph. About .53" per second at 1000GPH. At 14" depth of bio media, at 1000GPH thats 28 seconds the water is in contact with the bio media. at 2000 GPH its about 14 seconds.

BushFishRox

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2007
Mississauga, Ont Canada
I can see around 1000 since you said you will be reinforcing the media compartment. When media is added that will slow the flow down as well, like the FX5 pumping at 925GPH empty is down to around 625GPH w/ media.

Jgray152

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2006
NH
I can see around 1000 since you said you will be reinforcing the media compartment. When media is added that will slow the flow down as well, like the FX5 pumping at 925GPH empty is down to around 625GPH w/ media.
The fx5 doesn't come close to 925 GPH. Its all marketing hype. 500-500 GPH is what you will get with clean media. With that said, without media its not going to jump up 400 GPH. Maybe 25-50 GPH but thats it.

The reinforcment will be very important because if the mechanical media clogs up, the bucket could collaps in on its self if the pump is strong enough.

BushFishRox

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2007
Mississauga, Ont Canada
Jgray152;1903492; said:
The fx5 doesn't come close to 925 GPH. Its all marketing hype. 500-500 GPH is what you will get with clean media. With that said, without media its not going to jump up 400 GPH. Maybe 25-50 GPH but thats it.

The reinforcment will be very important because if the mechanical media clogs up, the bucket could collaps in on its self if the pump is strong enough.
I tested my FX5 with top tray pre-filter and other 2 trays bio max and just stock sponges is in the high 600's...

Jgray152

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2006
NH
What did you test it with? Other previous tests have said 500-550 with media.

Jgray152

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2006
NH
at 140 watts the Poseidon PS4 External Pump gets great reviews from everyone. They say you can't hear it and it does a great job. Although it does raise the water temp up to 4*F which I don't think it a big deal. It has a $170 price tag...

Jgray152

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2006
NH
So I bought some stuff to start the build. The bucket that is in the pictures below is NOT the bucket I will be using. Its only for a temp solution to see if the bulkhead fittings will work.

Here are the bulkheads. I had to use a 1 1/4 inch intake so the ID of the barbed fitting would be atleast 1" instead of 3/4" if I had went with a 1" barbed.

This is the output extension tube

Jgray152

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2006
NH
I have the bucket filled with water waiting to see if they will leak under very light pressures (little above atmospheric). So far so good.

If I try to tighten the fittings to much, the o-rings will want to squeeze out. I may try to get o-rings that have a slightly smaller inner diameter so they would need to be very slightly streched to fit. This may help with this issue.

OR I could just find a large plastic or metal washer that fits over the threads. Put it between the fitting and the o-ring so that the o-ring can't get squeezed out. Doing this I would have to use a rubber washer between the fitting and the metal washer to seal that as well though. We'll see if it actually becomes a problem in the near future.

After I order the bucket and the gamma seal lid I will hook this up to my Fx5 just so I can have some negitive and positive pressures running through it to test it out.

Moving the fittings back and forth doesn't cause them to leak at all. This is something I was worried about. So Moving hoses around while they are hooked to the filter won't cause the filter to leak. The bucket just flexs a bit.

The 90* barbed fitting is not pointing at the angle I would like it to be. A 45* would work better but I couldnt find any. I Will keep my eyes open or maybe PVCfittings.com has something that is female threaded on one side and slip fitting on the other at a 45* angle.

Jgray152

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2006
NH
Here is a picture of the purge tube on the output tube.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store