DIY 6 Gallon Bucket Canister Filter

Jgray152

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2006
NH
Well I found out how to get the fittings really tight without the o-rings squishing out. Before I was turning the barbed fitting or the 90* pvc fitting but that just forced the o-rings to squeez out. By turning the slip fittings on the outside of the bucket only, I was able to get the fittings real tight without the o-rings squeezing out even the slightest bit so that is no longer an issue at all.

Another picture of the purge tube. I modified the bend a little more. The barbed fittings is pointing the correct direction in this picture.

Jgray152

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2006
NH
I just ordered the 6 gallon bucket and gamma seal lid today since the fittings were successful so far.

Its coming along!

Jgray152

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2006
NH
This friday I should have the bucket and the lid!

I am thinking of doing something different with the intake. I don't like the large amount of space im loosing at the top of the bucket. I guess this will depend on how low the cover fits. I don't know why I didn't think of it before but I may just use a 90* PVC fitting on the intake insteaf of the barbed fitting, like I did for the output.

We'll see... I can't wait!

The purge tube will just be secured with some silicone to the side of the bucket

Jgray152

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2006
NH
Well the bucket and the lid came in today.

I did some work on the bucket. The purge tube you see I may redo. I think its a little short.

Jgray152

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2006
NH
The bucket is very rigid compairded to most I have delt with. I don't see the need for bracing with this but I may do so anyways. The wall thickness is just about 3/32" which is pretty darn good.

Jgray152

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2006
NH
I calculated the bio capacity wrong. I first said it was 18L but thats not right. It would only be around 14L.

I decided do something a little different. Instead of using coarse and slightly coarse filter foam/fiber pads to remove large waste, why not use filter socks or even 800 micron media bags on the inlet? This way I can eliminate 3" off the mechanical filtration and put that 3" into the bio filter compartment. Now instead of 10" high it will be 13" high compartment. I figured for a 10.75" diameter since the bucket is about 10" on the bottom and almost 12 at the top. That will give me just over 19L of bio capacity. I like that number better than 14L. After all, this is suppose to be a "big" filter.

The filter media bag I will use will be 4" diameter by 12" long. That will give me about 150 sq inch surface area compaired to the 108 sq inch surface area of filter pads laying flat. I could also go with a 7"x14" bag which would give me about 538sq in area.... I think if im doing the math right.

I would have to figure out how to secure it to the inlet and I think I will use those spring loaded round clamps. I have to find them online or in the auto store. You can unclip them with your fingers.

looking at these bags
http://www.petsolutions.com/E-Z-Close-Media-Bags+I34114600+C10432.aspx
http://www.petsolutions.com/Nylon-Filter-Bags+I30110116+C10432.aspx

Jgray152

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2006
NH
Here is a picture of what it could look like.

This is the type of clamp I will most likly use for securing the bag to the intake.

Jgray152

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2006
NH
Im not going to use the wire clamp pictured above, I found some and you need plyers to remove it because its so stiff. I think a barbed fitting with a good thick rubber band may do the trick.

I did some more quick work to it. I decided to continue with the 1.25" barbed fitting for the filter bag and just use a 1.25" -> 1" bushing to reduce to a 1" pipe on the outside of the bucket.

Using a bushing will cause a large chamber to form within the barbed fitting, counduit fitting and bushing which could cause turbulance in flow. So to remedy this I just cut a small piece of 1" pipe to fit inside this assembly and it worked and fit perfect. The fit is a tad looser than normal but some glue or silicone at both ends of the pipe will keep it secure. Pictured Below;

I also don't think I will need to upper seporation tray. I will do without for now and see how it works.

Jgray152

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2006
NH
After I get done with this. I think I will make a PDF file with a parts list, US prices I paid for everything and instruction on how to build it.

Jgray152

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2006
NH
I got two Union fittings and two barbed fittigns so after I order a new cover I should be able to hook this up to the Fx5 to see how it does.

Im working on different designs for the cover.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store