does kanaplex kill benefical bacteria ??

tanyaelec11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2012
canada
I decided to dose my fish in their new tank with seachem kanaplex. after establishing it ( getting good readings) I put them in and some of my larger fish were showing signs of stress and fin rot ( white tips ) lethargic. well today they were really acting lethargic so I decided to test the water and I have gotten .50 for ammonia ..... my one smaller jag is showing signs of ammonia burn has a white dot on his eye and my female who is 6 years old looks as if she has ick. I have never let the temp drop lower than 74. I am currently doing a 50 % maybe more water change in a panic. I have never been so stressed out about moving fish from a smaller tank that was literally across the room ( they were fine ) to a bigger tank. if anyone has any suggestions or advice to let me know if this kanaplex has killed the bacteria because it clearly states that it is safe could let me know thank you !!

jmolter86

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2015
bristol, pa
I've never had an ammonia spike after using it. But I've only used it a small amount of times.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
How was the big tank cycled?
I've used kanaplex in very established old tanks and it didn't cause any ammonia spike but that may not be the case in a freshly established tank.

Kanaplex doesn't treat finrot, it's more for internal bacterial infections.
Did you test the water before the kanaplex? Finrot like appearance can be caused by ammonia alone quite fast. A lot of the "disease" signs people treat for are caused by bad water quality alone and meds and ammonia at the same time will most likely lead to the fish's demise.
Stick to large daily water changes until the bacteria starts dealing with the current bioload on its own. If you have 0.50ppm ammonia, a 50% water change will remove half of it only so make sure you do enough to remove all of it.
Dumping meds won't help unless you know you are dealing with a disease and what sort of disease.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Keep up daily WCs, get Seachem Stability and pour the whole bottle in. In the mean time, if you have Prime available, use that as a failsafe for the ammo spike. Kanaplex has never caused me any problems in cycled tanks. It would seem, to me, that the new tank may have been cycled, but adding all the fish pushed the biofilter past its limits and now it has to catch up.

tanyaelec11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2012
canada
I used established bio balls from my old filter and put them into my sump and let it run for a week and slowly added one fish at a time everyday I was treating the fish for a bacterial infection on their fins or so I thought it was . I did a 75 % water change last night and I will be doing another 50 % this morning . Yes ammonia does seem to creep up on a person ! I do have stability and prime so I will be sure to use these and cut the meds out and see if I see changes with the water changes.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I used established bio balls from my old filter and put them into my sump and let it run for a week and slowly added one fish at a time everyday I was treating the fish for a bacterial infection on their fins or so I thought it was . I did a 75 % water change last night and I will be doing another 50 % this morning . Yes ammonia does seem to creep up on a person ! I do have stability and prime so I will be sure to use these and cut the meds out and see if I see changes with the water changes.
that's what I like to see, someone prepared for these issues haha. You'll be fine, the stability and prime will catch you back up in no time, in the mean time, add some salt to your tank if you don't already have some in there, it will at least help with the fin rot and whatever else until you resume medicating.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Kanamycin is primarily gram-negative, BB is primarily gram-positive. Kanamycin is not harmful to the BB in a well established tank, care should be taken if used in a newly established tank ie less than 3 months old.

tanyaelec11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2012
canada
after sitting down and thinking about it for a while I have figured out what killed the bacteria off. I was not home for about 4 hours yesterday and the neighbour told me the power was out for over an hour so that clicked . At least I figured it out and now im not so confused :) have a good day everyone and thank you again for everyone's input. I will just have to keep the waterchanges up until it is back and hopefully in the meantime the power does not go out for a while so I can get this tank established without losing fish .

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store