Dormant disease in tank???

Bennlfer

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2009
Nunya
Hi everyone. I have something going on in my tank. It seems like there is a disease in my tank, but it only kills a fish every other week or so. All of the fish will be fine and then BAM!! Overnight, one of the fish will be infected with what seems like fungus and die... They will have severely tattered fins and theyre body will look white and nasty. The scales look like they drop off. It is very aggressive and I have not been able to save even one of them. I have now lost 3 tinfoil barbs and 1 peacock bass to this and my silver arowana is looking pretty bad right now too, although he has been affected for about 3 days and he's still alive.

At this point, I can't tell whether it's aggression from my Oscar causing their immune systems to drop, making them susceptible to disease, or if I have a disease running rampant in my tank. But like I said, only 1 fish gets affected at a time usually, and they will spread by about 2 weeks. If it were disease, I would expect all of the fish to get it.

I want to try a new method of treating them, as salt, clean water and temp are not helping. I really do not want to destroy my bio filter though. Any suggestions? Should I remove the oscar? Thanks for your help..

BTW, stock list is: 4 peacock bass, 3 tinfoil barbs, 4 geos, 1 silver arowana, 1 oscar and 1 pleco in a 150. All fish are around 3 inches.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store