joecoulson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2010
GA
www.joecoulsonphotography.com
Gread thread Ash thx.

My experience so far with my Africans:

Aragonite works great as substrate as it helps to buffer the water and looks great when lit with Actinic and 10k's

Over filtration is a must for all my tanks but especially Mbuna or/and overcrowded tank.

I have also found extra circulation by reef pumps or power heads helps to keep the water moving eliminating dead spots and waste build up, more gets to the filter.

10k (w/ or w/out actinic) usually shows the best colors on all my African fishes. Not too bright though, I use std output T5's

Plenty of hiding spots, I use Lace Rock but it's a little pricey, PVC would work, along with rock piles obtained from your local rock supply. The more hiding areas the better. Also, if you have different size fishes, try to make smaller openings in your rock structures, as it will help the smaller less dominant inhabitants escape a beating.

I have had luck in my Tang tank growing Java fern (Microsorum pteropus) with low-ish light, took a little time for the plant to get used to the hard water, but be patient, you will see new growth after a few months.

Let algae grow on areas that don't need cleaning, I have copius amounts on my rock structures and back walls of the tanks. The fish graze on it constantly. It is pretty cool to watch all my Mbuna picking away all day in between feedings.

Have some sort of hospital tank or isloation chamber on hand for occasional beat up fishys. Not all tanks, but some of the more aggressive overcrowded ones may experience a general beat down of the most submissive fish. I have had a red zebra almost die on me a month or so ago and had to isloate for a week until it was better enough to get out of the isloation chamber and back into hiding in the rocks.

I have had the most luck feeding NLS (recently) to my Africans but also beleive Omega 1 is a great brand.

I do not try and breed so I have nothing to share on that.....yet.

I have always used and will continue to use Seachem products in my tanks. I know they are expensive but for me they are worth it. I use Malawi buffer only if i do a 50%+ water change to equalize the ph, otherwise I just rely on the Aragonite. But I always use Seachem Rift lake Cichlid salt, Trace and Prime. The combination of 30% weekly (or twice weekly) water changes and these products along with a healthy diet have produced some ever increasing beautiful colors for me. Water changes......water changes....always.

Lastly, I have been in this hobby for almost 13 years now and the African Rift lake fish are by far the most entertaining and interesting fish i have ever kept. And I have kept quite a few different fish(I have yet to try salt).

Thanks again Ash and hope you are still into these wonderful fish as you were when you started this thread 5 years ago!

Insane Calypso II

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2011
Harris County
Good stuff, wish i found this site three weeks ago

Insane Calypso II

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2011
Harris County
wow... a lot of info

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
Thanks for the input joecoulson http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/member.php?79280-joecoulson

Thank you, glad people are still finding this info useful. =]

A note that I would like to add for feedings, from my own experience:

Sinking Pellets - These fish are prone to bloat so it is best to not feed your fish surface foods but sinking foods instead. (I recommend NLS)

Varying the diet is also a good idea and always make sure you are feeding the correct diets as some fish are more carnivorous while others are more vegetarian. You always want to make sure they are getting a good variety of foods.

If you feed frozen food be cautious of feeding blood worms and tubifex worms.... these worms are harder for African chiclids to digest and can cause problems.

Each fish will vary in diet if you have a mix tank make sure you know what each fish needs so you can feed your fish better suited to their needs. Its is best to keep fish that will eat similar or the same foods together.

This is just very simple basic information - nothing drawn out - If you are interested on indepth explanations please feel free to use goggle and do some research =]

alexanian

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Damascus
I must admit I joined this forum because of this thread so thank you alot Ash. I am thinking of switching to african cichlids for quiet some time now but since I'm not very familiar with them I'm taking my time and gathering info :) I had new world cichlids, most of the time angels, blue akai, green terror and oscars but the colors of the african cichlids are awesome. I'm planing on getting a larger tank and starting a mix african cichlid community tank. I found very useful info here about that. My main problem so far is that most of those fish look alike to me so I have a problem indentifying them at the lfs :( hopefully will be able to sometime soon and plus now I have all of you guys to help out if needed hehehe :D Much appreciated everyone good job

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
Glad this thread is helpful for you! Feel free to ask any questions in the African section of the forum, there are a lot of great members who can help you out. If you can, try to avoid picking your chiclids from a lfs "mix tank" and see if you can find someone who has them correctly labeled instead of just "mixed". You can always make a thread asking for good lfs in your area and you may get a suggestion. Always try local breeders or fish clubs - they usually have a good selection of fish to choose from =]

Edmalawi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2011
San Antonio
Thanks a lot for your efforts. I have kept and loved these fish since I was a kid and always find there is something to learn from others.

alexanian

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Damascus
Glad this thread is helpful for you! Feel free to ask any questions in the African section of the forum, there are a lot of great members who can help you out. If you can, try to avoid picking your chiclids from a lfs "mix tank" and see if you can find someone who has them correctly labeled instead of just "mixed". You can always make a thread asking for good lfs in your area and you may get a suggestion. Always try local breeders or fish clubs - they usually have a good selection of fish to choose from =]
Well I live in Damascus, Syria so I doubt any forum members will know any good lfs all the way here :) But that's ok since I know most of the lfs here and from expirience figured out the good ones. Although finding them correctly labelled here is impossible so i think i'll b mostly dependant on you and this forum for positive ID's. Unfortunatelly I don't know any local breeders and never heard of fish clubs here. That's the main reason I'm reluctant on getting a discus tank. Usually it's fish enthusiasts holding small private shops. but I've seen yellow labs and those girafe ones and alot of mixed mbunas, mostly blue colored but still didn't positively ID any of them. There might have been some peacocks too which i mistakenly thought were mbunas. Anyways I've seen some groops that looked very healthy and nicely colored so i guess there are some good sources.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store