emergency (first post)

kizzlerox

Feeder Fish
May 21, 2015
thank you so much. i bought 3 more tiger barbs, since there were only 3 as big as the 2 i have. i let the bag float, and rearranged the whole tank so nobody has a territory anymore and i got a thermometer. it has a heater and says its 78 degrees. it had one. i added them in and they are schooling with the 5 glass fish peacefully.

this has actuall been fun. i think i am a fish person. lol

thanks

Durrells

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2012
Beavercreek, OH
I applaud your effort, you are one of very few who make the effort. Most people who consider themselves fish keepers don't do half the research you did by joining this site. It seems like you have a decent grasp on things so far, my only additions to the conversation is to recommend the Python. It is a long hose that attaches to your sink faucet and makes water changes a breeze. Hopefully the beneficial bacteria (BB) is still in tact! Please do ask as many questions as you can, as that is the best way to learn the information you need (and some you don't!) Prime is a great dechlorination product and is highly recommended by most everyone here. Sumo is a great resource, take advantage! Petsmart is a decent place to buy fish from, just make sure to take a close look at your fish everyday for little white spots (ich) and external parasites. If you have any visual questions, feel free to post a picture. You sound like a very intelligent person, you should catch on very quick :) Good Luck my friend!

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
I am not clear on whether you used any of the nasty old filter material. Even if it is super gross, it has beneficial bacteria on it, and if you don't use at least some of it, the tank is going to go through a cycle. Most those fish should be ok, but the glass catfish are more sensitive if I remember correctly.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I am not clear on whether you used any of the nasty old filter material. Even if it is super gross, it has beneficial bacteria on it, and if you don't use at least some of it, the tank is going to go through a cycle. Most those fish should be ok, but the glass catfish are more sensitive if I remember correctly.
She stated that there was extra Biomax, so I'm assuming that's what's being used in the filter already

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
Thumbs up for the rescue!! :)
I remember being a kid putting my community tank together and thinking glassfish were the coolest fish, I didn't know better and liked the painted ones :/ I just recently seen some crazy ones at Petco of all places, big with a humphead!:eek:

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
OP, you may also want to see if there are any Mom N Pop LFS' (Local Fish Stores) around your area? might be nice to have another options to buy stuff from, and if you get more into the hobby, may have more options of what to do with the tank in the future... since sometimes having a good relationship with an LFS can really pay off...

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
it is VERY refreshing to see someone already doing research before even posting questions on forum- *especially about a discarded tank of fish!
Just enjoy it. you'll learn as you go. don't be hard on yourself about mistakes. EVERYone here has made errors & lost fish.
Best wishes to you, and WELCOME to mfk.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store