Emperor 280s any good?

Aqualoon

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2009
Minnesota
Slapping together a 55 gallon african tank as cheaply as possible. Had two BNIB Emperor 280s that I must have picked up a year or so ago. How well will 2 of these work on an overstocked 55g? Should I be looking for AC110 or canister deals now? Currently cycling so if I for sure will need some more fire power in the filtering department want to get that now.

jmolter86

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2015
bristol, pa
I think the 2 280s will be OK as long as your not crazy overstocked. It can never hurt to throw on another filter. I would get a canister and put it on there just so I wouldn't have to worry about it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Aqualoon

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2009
Minnesota
I think you'll be fine. Throw a sponge filter in the tank for some additional bio.
Thank you.

And yes more filtration is better - that same statement can be said for pretty much any setup. As I mentioned looking to toss together a tank on the cheap (aka with stuff I already have) so wanted to know if I was in the ballpark filtration wise (which bradleyagregg answered - thank you) or if I needed something more right away.

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
Slapping together a 55 gallon african tank as cheaply as possible. Had two BNIB Emperor 280s that I must have picked up a year or so ago. How well will 2 of these work on an overstocked 55g? Should I be looking for AC110 or canister deals now? Currently cycling so if I for sure will need some more fire power in the filtering department want to get that now.
You will be fine...that's plenty for bio as long as you max out media. .....you may want to add a power head for better flow ( you could even stick a sponge filter on the p.h.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store