First shot at a planted tank

Beave

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2010
new jersey
always wanted to do a planted tank but never had the fish that would allow me. Setup a 29 gallon for my daughter and figured there no better time then now. I'm using Api leaf zone now going to pickup root tabs tomorrow... Wish me luck. Still want to put some taller plants in the back corners... Any suggestions for a beginer would be great...

Fish: 10 neons, 4 Corys, german blue ballon body ram and 2 female betas

Plants: on the driftwood is Java fern in the gravel in the middle is a red melon sword and in the gravel on the left is a Amazon swordimage.jpg

image.jpg

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Java Fern is very slow grower, for background/corner plants I would use Myriophyllum Pinnatum (common name: green/red fox tail) those plants would fill in and make your tank look dense more lively, more natural looking within few days and of course it look better than amazon sword IMO your fishes would love them cause it making them feel more safe :D for center focus plant I would use Red Tiger Lotus (Nyphaea Zenkeri). When those 2 plants acclimated in your tank then you don't even need filter with your current fish stock, those 2 plants will keep your water at pristine condition if you keep your feeding habit in check :)

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
In my planted the tank the factor that really made a difference was adding a co2 diffuser.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Liquid fertilizer would also work (seachem products) if you are not into/dealing with CO2 tank stuff (I wouldn't cause your kid would or might mess it up and it can be dangerous IMO)

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
always wanted to do a planted tank but never had the fish that would allow me. Setup a 29 gallon for my daughter and figured there no better time then now. I'm using Api leaf zone now going to pickup root tabs tomorrow... Wish me luck. Still want to put some taller plants in the back corners... Any suggestions for a beginer would be great...

Fish: 10 neons, 4 Corys, german blue ballon body ram and 2 female betas

Plants: on the driftwood is Java fern in the gravel in the middle is a red melon sword and in the gravel on the left is a Amazon swordView attachment 1063775
Funny in doing the same thing for my little girl..

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Beave

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2010
new jersey
Java Fern is very slow grower, for background/corner plants I would use Myriophyllum Pinnatum (common name: green/red fox tail) those plants would fill in and make your tank look dense more lively, more natural looking within few days and of course it look better than amazon sword IMO your fishes would love them cause it making them feel more safe :D for center focus plant I would use Red Tiger Lotus (Nyphaea Zenkeri). When those 2 plants acclimated in your tank then you don't even need filter with your current fish stock, those 2 plants will keep your water at pristine condition if you keep your feeding habit in check :)
How easy are the fox tails... I have no co2 and would like to avoid it... I like how they look... I assume that it's as easy as cutting the tops off when it comes time to trimming down... And they won't take over the tank? And thank you guys for the assistance

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
How easy are the fox tails... I have no co2 and would like to avoid it... I like how they look... I assume that it's as easy as cutting the tops off when it comes time to trimming down... And they won't take over the tank? And thank you guys for the assistance
Yes, just trim the top down and replant them if you want for more bushes look plants, if you trim it down every time you do tank maintenance then you wouldn't have any problem, its not require any special care but if you can invest in some liquid fertilizer like seachem flourish and feed it 1 in a week or every 2 weeks (if you only use half dose each time then a bottle would last couple months or even a year depend on bottle sizes) then your plants would love that bonus plant food. :D

Beave

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2010
new jersey
Yes, just trim the top down and replant them if you want for more bushes look plants, if you trim it down every time you do tank maintenance then you wouldn't have any problem, its not require any special care but if you can invest in some liquid fertilizer like seachem flourish and feed it 1 in a week or every 2 weeks (if you only use half dose each time then a bottle would last couple months or even a year depend on bottle sizes) then your plants would love that bonus plant food. :D
Awesome... Fertilizer tab/liquids I don't mind I just don't want to get involved in co2 just yet... I put root tabs in yesterday I have leaf zone next on my list is to find some seachem flourish... Going to look for fox tails this weekend thanks again

Beave

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2010
new jersey
Also with the plants that I have now how long would you guys suggest I keep the lights on? I'm going to put it on a timer since some nights I don't get home till late... Like tonight home at 7:30 and getting ready to pass out to start early tomorrow... And my wife won't touch the tank so she doesn't get blamed for anything:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store