Fish ID Help

MRE

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2008
Parrish, FL
Hey guys, I just picked up this fish from my lfs today and I wasn't totally sure what kind it is. The guy at the store said he thought it was some kind of peacock cichlid which seems reasonable but I figured the good folks on here might be able to narrow it down a little more. It definitely seems like some kind of african to me. It's around 6 inches right now and I got it for $40. My main concern was that it could be some kind of dyed fish since it is so brightly colored, but the owner assured me it wasn't. What do you guys think?
093.jpg

093.jpg

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
Dragonblood peacock. Its a manmade hybrid. They also go by many other names.

elting44

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2007
Salina, KS
I don't know my African cichlids well but I think you have what is know as a "strawberry peacock"

I believe it is hybrid of some sorts. Looks nice

MRE

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2008
Parrish, FL
Thanks for the help guys. Definitely looks like a dragonblood now that I'm looking at them.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
That's a good looking fish!

You should post in the African forum to get a definitive answer if you're still unsure.

MRE

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2008
Parrish, FL
So far the Oscar hasn't bothered him at all. My oscar never really bothers any of the Africans in my tank. The only guy the Oscar really fights with is my pike, but they just do so to claim territories and because they are the largest, most dominant fish in the tank. The other Africans in my tank and the Compressicep have been chasing the Dragonblood around a bit, but nothing serious. Always hard for a new fish to carve out a territory in an already established tank. I moved some plants around right before I added him to help with that but he still ends up moving around a lot. The Dragonblood isn't taking any damage though, so I'm feeling optimistic.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store