Fish is laying on its side/back

Pyramid_Party

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2008
Monterey, CA
Yeah hes still alive now, hes on his side/back and still breathing. Breathing is kinda normal, just cant get upright. He doesnt look too good I dont think hes ever gonna get upright and back to normal. How can I euthanize him? I dont have any clove oil.

ward1066

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2009
kansas
Pyramid_Party;3224240; said:
Yeah hes still alive now, hes on his side/back and still breathing. Breathing is kinda normal, just cant get upright. He doesnt look too good I dont think hes ever gonna get upright and back to normal. How can I euthanize him? I dont have any clove oil.
can you try moving him to a hospital tank? I have used a 5 gal bucket before with an airstone, make sure water temp and ph are similiar as tank, add lots of salt and epsoms. worth a try

indiana.dutton

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2009
Connecticut
can you try moving him to a hospital tank? I have used a 5 gal bucket before with an airstone, make sure water temp and ph are similiar as tank, add lots of salt and epsoms. worth a try[/QUOTE]
I agree, isolate and treat him!

Dmaan.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2008
Edmonton (CAN)
i don't know if you should keep this guy alive for much longer?
life would sure suck to live like that!

Citrinellus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2008
ward1066;3224253; said:
can you try moving him to a hospital tank? I have used a 5 gal bucket before with an airstone, make sure water temp and ph are similiar as tank, add lots of salt and epsoms. worth a try
indiana.dutton;3224291; said:
I agree, isolate and treat him!
Pyramid_Party;3221722; said:
My firemouth was found this morning on his side. Still alive but cant stay upright. I moved it to another tank, added a heater, filter and powerhead. Seems the fish is trying to fight but I feel it may die. I dont know what to do for it. It mostly lays on its side or back, then sometimes it gets upright and sometimes it trys to swim but it swims really disorientated and darts around mostly, then back on its side or back. I also noticed its fins are a little ragged. Any suggestions? Thx
He already moved it to another tank. Sorry pyramid, but i have a feeling he is heading down the wrong path. I hope he is able to pull through.

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
is it still eating if so give him some peas

TwistedPenguin

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
Oklahoma
Pyramid_Party;3224240; said:
If you don't have clove oil the next best thing would be to put him in the freezer. I hate doing it that way but it beats letting him suffer.

Pyramid_Party

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2008
Monterey, CA
Ive added salt already. I even added some antibiotics. It may be what is keeping the fish alive for a bit. I jsut dont know if I should try to keep him going. Hes on his side all the time. I see him move around and try to get up but cant do it.

It looks like hes suffering, for 2 days hes been on his side with fins moving. But moving very weak looking.

Im wondering if I should add another airstone, and maybe use something to prop him up and keep him upright. It just looks sad watching him the way he is.

bluehairman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2007
Green Bay
Don't add any current if he can't move he'll just die faster.
Something happened on the inside that probably wasn't your fault. It could be genetics, who knows.
Wait a little while.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store