FLOWER RAY KEEPERS----Flower ray issues (recently)

COOL MBU

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2006
MICHIGAN
sorry to hear

i don't think todd has ever had any problems with his flower... we have rely good water here though. maybe he will chime in.
All good here-no probs to mention:}

Tanks are very stable,drip rate not touched for some time....

(Nitrate-20-35,PH 7.4-7.6,TDS-162 (122 @ tap)

Diet: Massivore,H2O wafers,Shrimp (cooked & uncooked),Talapia,Earthworms (every other month)

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I agree 110% about hard water also.

My skin cannot handle the water here some times I can only emagine what a rays is like.evolved to tolerate very soft acidic water ,then we through them into liquid rock.

Db ro is not bad if used correct. My Tds in tap is 260-300 after the ro it's 2.the waste water from the ro is around 350 I would never drip that back into the tank. If I just drip tap my tanks Tds will stay around 250-300.
With the introduction to ro in my tanks I've got the Tds down to around 110! I don't know how you can think that's absurd or rediculas .i drip about 35-40% Tap just so I do not have to worry about unstable water cause I seriously put about 3 minutes a week into my tanks mantainence .ro is not really that expensive stuff is real cheap on eBay from USA .you can also use the waste water from your ro for something like a African cichlid tank (mine love the hard water) also to water your lawn ,setup a simple pump and float system that once everyday or so your lawn automatically gets watered. You can also use the tanks waste water that contains nitrates (free fertilizer)
My water bills are high enough without any wastewater. The water here would likely be hell on membranes. Don't want to have to mix it. If I can buy some fancy salt free water softener instead I feel that would be much easier. If that won't work then RO will be my only option.

calgaryflames

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
calgary
I have extreme hard water here an ro membrane lasts almost a year .i actually run another ro unit off the waste water from the first ro and the second ro membrane last a long time also. eBay theirs a few company's you can get a ro membranes for $30. I probably use 500-600 gallons per day also.

hereticlosmorte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
Ontario, Canada
i'm actually curious if there has been any studies done towards aquarium fish noticing seasonal changes?
i think this is very possible, even in a tank indoors. why should it be that fish can't tell, but i have plants in my planted tank that are spring blooming with flowers on them?
during different seasons, not only do tides alter, but slight gravity shifts, air density, particles, etc. even in a house, none are 100% airtight, so we could possibly see creatures noticing these changes indoors.
it makes for a very interesting thought.

it might also be more possible for those of us that do not use RO water to deaden the water, but water that does come straight from the source where the season has altered its contents.

calgaryflames

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
calgary
Their has been study's done on fish and they can feel baromatic preassure and people also think they can feel gravity.This is how fish tell in the wild .i don't think it changes in aquariums. If they can differentiate seasons is beyond anybody people can only really speculate .
Their is something called the solunar theory . You may want to look into if your an outdoors man sport fisher?

hereticlosmorte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
Ontario, Canada
i'm not an outdoors/fishing type. i haven't heard of the solunar theory, though i will look it up.

i could see how even an aquarium fish would still notice the differences. drafts, open windows, etc could all help with alerting an aquarium fish to seasonal changes. i don't think it would require direct outdoor habitat for them to notice.

calgaryflames

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
calgary
i'm not an outdoors/fishing type. i haven't heard of the solunar theory, though i will look it up.

i could see how even an aquarium fish would still notice the differences. drafts, open windows, etc could all help with alerting an aquarium fish to seasonal changes. i don't think it would require direct outdoor habitat for them to notice.
i dont know about drafts in the home but like i said i know from my heavy outdoorsmen experience that fish can feel the gravitational pull from the moon and baromatic preasure changes.i dont have a sceintific explantion for it but its just something i know that been studied .i think this would be how a fish maybe able to distingush seasonal changes by preassure and maybe they can from moon cycles.
i know fish feed insane on full moons and new moons. those are the best days to fish on. ive noticed my rays feed heavier too when its a full moon. i had a real sad bd ray last year that came in almost dead that wouldnt eat and took about 4 months to finally die. i did get it to eat on or around the nights of a full moon. they say 2 days before the day of and 2 days after of the full moon each month are the very best days.their is scientific proof of this in a professor from illinois i beleive (who invented the solunar theory) collected data for 40 plus years. he had exact feeding times figured out for anywhere on the globe all he needed was your coordinates lattiatude and longitude. lol im getting off topic lol. look up solunar theory its insane.i didnt beleive it until i tested his exact times for myself fishing over the last 6 years.i always catch fish exactly around the times his table said.i wont even fish now if its not around that time of day

hereticlosmorte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
Ontario, Canada
lol nice. yeah, i knew about the moon and barometric pressure fluctuations. it has to do with the fact that the moon gets closer to the earth, increasing gravitational force between them, which affects the tides. this in turn affects the creatures living in the water, more so than us on land, though we do undertake changes at times, due to our bodies being so full of water.

i have no doubt that the feeding pattern works, that would be awesome to do to see how they would react as if in the wild.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store