Flowerhorn raising fry in community 180

warren126

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2005
Atlanta Ga,
Nice setup on your 2400 just want to know how long did it take you to build it and I notice that you ave a clown knife how big is he and what do you feed your crew

Anythingfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2005
Washington
The construction of my 2400 gallon large aquarium tank, measuring 12 ft. by 8 ft. by 4 ft. deep, took about a month to complete. The cost then, in the spring of 2003, was about $1,500 including the ½”thick plate glass window and all pipe fittings. Nearly everything was purchased from Home Depot. Not included in the $1,500 mentioned above is the cost of 2 Hagen Laguna Power Jet 7000 series water pumps circulating about 3,000 gallons per hour total, one Tetra DW-96-2 air pump and 50 gallons of bio mass.

This is a photo of: My 2400 gallon outdoor tropical fish aquarium tank and backyard Koi pond:

This is a night view photo of my outdoor 2400 gallon heated aquarium where I keep all my jumbo fish, any big fish over 24 inches:

The Clown Knife Fish, in the next photo, were about 20 inches long when I got them 4 years ago and have grown to about 25 inches. The prior owners felt compelled to feed their Clown Knife Fish live goldfish; the cost and frequent trips to the local fish store became too much of an effort so they gave them to me. I had to tough it out for about 2 weeks before they took non-live food. During the first week I had them one tried to eat a 10 inch long Jaguar Managuense Cichlid. After a few minutes of struggle the Clown Knife Fish let go his intended dinner. The Clown Knife Fish eat almost anything now including Bar-S Jumbo Franks, their chicken pork beef variety hot dogs. They also eat Silver Cup trout chow both floating and sinking types and shrimp when I can purchase it at a discount in the local market. I have been waiting to put them in my 2400 gallon aquarium until they were big enough to avoid being eaten by my very carnivorous 36” Redtail Catfish.

This is a photo of: my Clown Knife fish in the 180 gallon aquarium:

This is a photo of: the male Flowerhorn chasing all his tank mates into the opposite end of the 180 gallon and aquarium away from the pot full of eggs.

This is a photo of: my big Redtail Catfish, about 36 inches long, in the 2400 gallon aquarium. This jumbo Redtail Catfish can swallow most any fish up to 18”, it just takes all day to get it down and 3 to 4 days to digest at which time he will be looking for food again:

Tour our AnythingFish hobby website, hundreds of tropical fish and aquarium construction photos, 2400 gallon outdoor aquarium, filters and filtration issues, 2,000 gallon concrete aquarium in the basement with 30” stingrays, Pacu, Tiger Shovelnose Catfish, Redtail Catfish, Arowana, Marbled Sailfin, Stingrays, African Lungfish and other jumbo aquarium fish, back yard Koi pond:
http://www.anythingfish.com

bluedempsey

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2005
Monster's r us
insanity :eek: :drool:

Anythingfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2005
Washington
Caveman said:
Wow! That is impressive. What is a heating bill like for that outdoor tank?
I am running 4 each 500 watt titanium heaters on a Goldline thermostat rated for 2,000 watts from: http://www.jehmco.com. In the Seattle Washington area the average winter temperature is 35 to 45 degrees. The 2400 gallon aquarium is insulated on all sides with 2" thick John's Manville foam sheets. The heat is on for an average of 1-2 hours twice a day. When the wind is blowing I double that. In other words 3 hours a day = 6,000 watts or 6 KW @ local power rate of $.085 per KW so the daily cost averages $.50 or a bit more per day. If I open the lid to work on the aquarium the heat is on almost constantly. When I do a water change about 1000 gallons at a time I switch on 2 water heater elements in the sump which together run 10,000 watts. They can keep up with the incoming tap water flowing at about 300 gallons per hour at a temperature averaging 40 degrees. The nice thing is that during the summer months, May-September it requires little or no heat, in fact must be cooled on really warm days.

andrejnr

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2007
Lisbon Portugal
Anythingfish;108215; said:
I am running 4 each 500 watt titanium heaters on a Goldline thermostat rated for 2,000 watts from: http://www.jehmco.com. In the Seattle Washington area the average winter temperature is 35 to 45 degrees. The 2400 gallon aquarium is insulated on all sides with 2" thick John's Manville foam sheets. The heat is on for an average of 1-2 hours twice a day. When the wind is blowing I double that. In other words 3 hours a day = 6,000 watts or 6 KW @ local power rate of $.085 per KW so the daily cost averages $.50 or a bit more per day. If I open the lid to work on the aquarium the heat is on almost constantly. When I do a water change about 1000 gallons at a time I switch on 2 water heater elements in the sump which together run 10,000 watts. They can keep up with the incoming tap water flowing at about 300 gallons per hour at a temperature averaging 40 degrees. The nice thing is that during the summer months, May-September it requires little or no heat, in fact must be cooled on really warm days.

Couldn't you get a solar panel sistem possably using a water deposit and a solenoid electric valve to heat upa your aquarium?

armac

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2005
South Texas
Always nice to bump a thread from 2005

Anythingfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2005
Washington
Couldn't you get a solar panel sistem possably using a water deposit and a solenoid electric valve to heat upa your aquarium
We have plenty of sun and heat in the summer; it is the dark rainy winter days that bump the electricity expense. Who knows how to setup a SOLAR PANEL in the Pacific Northwest and do we have enough winter sun to make it cost effective?

I have just started construction on my 8,000-gallon outdoor heated aquarium for adopted orphaned tropical fish and really need a solar panel energy saver. The Aquarium tank will be 16 feet long by 12 feet wide by 6 feet high with a 4 foot by 8 foot by 1-1/2" thick cell cast acrylic window.

andrejnr

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2007
Lisbon Portugal
Well apart from a solar panel the only other thing I can think of that might save you electricity in heating wold be some sort of greenhouse bilt aroud the aquarium.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store