indiana
Look at what I have going on..........

pair.jpg

hkg69

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Hong Kong
got them here in Hong Kong, shop had one batch and they were quite expensive - have never seen them again, guess they were a one off batch. Am seeing more bonzai flowerhorns lately which do not look as nice.

Fishyfan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2006
CA
hkg69;898963; said:
The first two pics are actually my fish!!! Have two of them and one was bullying the other, added blood parrots to the mix and the smaller one doesn't get chased that much anymore. The one in the picture is greedy and has had his share of smaller tankmates whereas the other one did not chase other fish.
These guys are awsome, I found some at a petco today so i got one. He is kinda dark though. You can see his flower line but he has dark vertical stripes all down his sides and he's brown. Do they lighten up as they get older? just wondering...

btw, there was no tag on the tank so the guy gave him to me as an oscar for $4 :)

Fishyfan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2006
CA
My god, my new little flowerhorn x parrot is pushy, he controls the entire upper half of the tank already and he's only 1.5" :irked:. He has the other cichlids hiding. He's not doing any damage but hes chasing and nipping at all the other fish. If i were to get another one, do you think they would chase each other instead of the other fish?

ApacheDan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2007
Davie, Florida
Fishyfan;899050; said:
These guys are awsome, I found some at a petco today so i got one. He is kinda dark though. You can see his flower line but he has dark vertical stripes all down his sides and he's brown. Do they lighten up as they get older? just wondering...

btw, there was no tag on the tank so the guy gave him to me as an oscar for $4 :)
I wouldn't keep my hopes too high...I got similar babies at Walmart & they lighten up to Parrot colors as they grow older & larger. When they are born, most of them have the cichlid stripings. It would take a real cross with a FH to mantain the colors/patterns of a FH..;)

Fishyfan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2006
CA
ApacheDan;900185; said:
I wouldn't keep my hopes too high...I got similar babies at Walmart & they lighten up to Parrot colors as they grow older & larger. When they are born, most of them have the cichlid stripings. It would take a real cross with a FH to mantain the colors/patterns of a FH..;)
They turn orange? awww crap :( thats boring

Well i got a question, should i get another one? This guy is getting aggressive, i was thinking if i get another one they might keep the aggression to themselves?

bigspizz

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2007
Fishyfan;900194; said:
They turn orange? awww crap :( thats boring

Well i got a question, should i get another one? This guy is getting aggressive, i was thinking if i get another one they might keep the aggression to themselves?

Yes....they focus 100% on one another for better or worse. Mine went through phases, psyco<--->scared at the top of the tank for no reason. I now have my 4 girls with a convict male that is slightly smaller. He was trying to kill his girlfriend in the breeding tank for some reason, and i do want some jellies. So I threw him in. They keep him on his toes to say the least. No signs of pairing though....

hkg69

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Hong Kong
Just two parrots won't work - at least not with me. The weaker one will be constantly chased. Since I added the parrots, the weaker flowerhorn/parrot has become more assertive.

P1010495.JPG

P1010506.JPG

P1010510.JPG

P1010501.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store