Freshwater Atlantic Stingray (D. Sabrina) converting to Brackish

monsterfishkeeper11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 20, 2015
Hello. I'm interested in purchasing a freshwater Atlantic stingray from rmkoonaquaticpets.com. Now I know they can live in freshwater but it is not reccomended, so I would like to convert my tank into brackish water. How would I go about doing that? Also, would it be best to do so before or after I get my stingray (would placing him in brackish water effect him since he has been in freshwater from the seller?) thanks!!

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
A couple things here...

one) rmkoonaquaticpets- seems to be doling out some not so great info to try to sell these rays
two) he is not a registered MFK vendor
three) and most importantly as far as I have always known these rays do not do well unless in a full marine environment - if kept in anything other than full marine you will need an immense tank and massive filtration

monsterfishkeeper11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 20, 2015
A couple things here...

one) rmkoonaquaticpets- seems to be doling out some not so great info to try to sell these rays
two) he is not a registered MFK vendor
three) and most importantly as far as I have always known these rays do not do well unless in a full marine environment - if kept in anything other than full marine you will need an immense tank and massive filtration
I plan on having a good amount of filtration but don't want to completely switch over to saltwater.

monsterfishkeeper11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 20, 2015
Also, are there any registered mfk vendors selling these stingrays as I would be more than happy to buy one from a mfk vendor.

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
I plan on having a good amount of filtration but don't want to completely switch over to saltwater.
well give me what your plan is for the ray.. tank size filtration etc

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
Also, are there any registered mfk vendors selling these stingrays as I would be more than happy to buy one from a mfk vendor.
not sure at the moment - but check out the vendor forum and feel free to contact any of them

monsterfishkeeper11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 20, 2015
I have a second 2000GPH canister that I'm not using at the moment on my 150 gal. I can add that to the stingray tank if needed.

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
210 gallon tank with 2000GPH canister filter. I also plan on doing weekly 25-50% water changes.

I have never kept one but I do not think that would work long term- people frown upon keeping fresh water rays in a 210 and most people successful with rays have sumps as opposed to a single canister-

You are talking about a ray that will get 24 inches- if it is a standard 210 it is only 24 inches wide.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store