Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

"Freshwater Lion fish" ID please.

Discussion in 'General Brackish' started by kamikaziechameleon, Mar 12, 2012.

1. kamikaziechameleon

kamikaziechameleon MFK Members

Design
      I just grabbed this guy over the weekend he looks supper awesome. On the tank he was labeled venomous, and named "Freshwater Lion fish".

Could you guys please confirm this?

[​IMG]
      [​IMG]

I've named him borborymos, google it. :p

When he swims rapidly to evade a net he makes a loud humming buzzing noise. He is 4 or 5 inches long.

2. Mount_Prion

Mount_Prion MFK Members

It's a cool looking Stonefish. They are actually brackish, normally. So he might not stay healthy in pure fresh. He should be a very aggressive eater and will eat anything that swims close to and fits in his rather large mouth.

Oh also, this is a fish that will appreciate substrate and hiding spots. He will definitely dig into sand/dirt if given the opportunity.

3. kamikaziechameleon

Design
      Great, are they really venomous? Also how are they towards tank mates, do I have a Gulper catfish on my hands here if you get my meaning? I've done brackish fish in fresh fine no issue just 2 requirements, hard water, pristine water.

Edit:

Feeding, any way to get him off live?

4. Mount_Prion

Mount_Prion MFK Members

He's not quite on the gulper level (sorry didn't notice this was originally posted in brackish!) but he will definitely grab up things that swim near him if they're small enough.

Tankmates are fine if they're larger than him, or probably OK if they're shoaling.

I fed mine live earthworms via a tube, so I'm not sure about training them. They're pretty picky eaters, from what I understand. This seems like a pretty big one, so you might have an easier time getting him to eat frozen stuff. I think it's pretty unlikely he'll ever eat pellets, though.

Sorry didn't answer your question: they can be pretty venomous. Believe they've got sort of pokey spikes that could probably give you a nasty injury, but won't be deadly. I doubt you have to worry about this affecting other fish unless something tries to eat him.

Also, I'm jealous yours makes noise. I always wished mine would.

5. kamikaziechameleon

Design
      I like this guy he's pretty placid but when he decides to do something he's great. I'll assume he's wild caught... I really wish I could feed him some of my home made medicated foods, I know I can swing salinity to shake most all external parasites but this won't touch any intestinal parasites.

I can't believe their excrement, mine was fed a goldfish shortly before I bought it, then next day looked like a bunch of orange jelly beans in the tank :confused: I couldn't figure it out, took a while to realize it was old goldfish.

6. DIDYSIS

DIDYSIS Mantilla Stingray

Credit Card Company
      Yep it is I have one also. Does anyone ever see these eat?? Just got one and an looking for tips. I heard they are most active at night. Guy I got it from said he had never seen it eat. Maybe I'll try some live guppies I have around.

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

7. dpete88

dpete88 MFK Members

My brother kept one a while ago and it kept digging itself burrows and would only feed at night. Look up some bids on YouTube from some fishermen catching some big ones. This fish is crazy nasty

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

8. kamikaziechameleon

Design
      Mine will probably go in my eventual ray tank, with my other brackish fish. Will be 1-3 rays, some bichirs, larger peaceful cichlids, an arrow. I think he'll be fine.

9. DIDYSIS

DIDYSIS Mantilla Stingray

Credit Card Company
      Right now mine is one of the smallest fish I have, living in my sump with some other babies I have. GROW FISH GROW LOL

10. kamikaziechameleon

Design
      Mine was apparently well fed prior to my acquisition. He keeps polluting his tank :p You'd think a fish twice his size was in the tank. I woke up and looked in on him this morning, he's produced a few more jelly beans last night. I just cleaned his tank last night!