"Freshwater Lion fish" ID please.

jfritts91

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2012
Marietta, GA
Though it's been several months since this thread started, felt I'd add my two cents.. I've read, and been told by a guy on a first hand account, that being stuck by one of those guys feels worse than anything you could imagine. I saw a review, sorry, cant remember where, that stated that several victims of being stung begged their doctors to remove the affected limb, due to the extreme pain..
SO yeah, careful handling :p

Brazen Rigsby

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2012
Austin, TX
Great, are they really venomous? Also how are they towards tank mates, do I have a Gulper catfish on my hands here if you get my meaning? I've done brackish fish in fresh fine no issue just 2 requirements, hard water, pristine water.

Edit:

Feeding, any way to get him off live?
I've heard stonefish are extremely venomous, the sting causes excruciating pain and it will kill you if not treated immediately...

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
I pick mine up all the time no joke. He hides in a little cave and could care less about being moved out and handled.

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

WinterAlloy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2012
North GA, USA
I need help....mine is about 5 inches. But he really isn't moving a lot. He is in a brackish 55 gal by himself except for his gambusia "friends". My SG is 1.008. I know he is an ambush predator, but he doesn't move. And yes he is still alive lol. I do feed him feeder comets (don't thrash me on that one lol. I'm starting to raise a more nutritious feeder). What's your experience? What should I do? Should I add some sort of brackish tankmate?

kamikaziechameleon

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2010
western hemisphere
Winter, sorry for not replying earlier. They don't move. Literally sit on the bottom and wait only usually moving under cover of darkness. If its eating its fine. Tank mates, your tank is not large enough to support this thing full grown they produce an enormous bio-load and grow to a little over 12 inches. If you had a several hundred gallon tank I'd say look to other brackish fish like monos and columbian cats.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store