Gar Identification - Post your Gar to be ID'd HERE!!

indiana hurricane

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2010
Indianapolis
This first one I got awhile ago, should be a florida gar
The second one I picked up today at a LFS that I had my eye on, told myself if he was there today; he was mine...:headbang2

indiana hurricane

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2010
Indianapolis
I took some more pics just to show the contrast.

The thinner white'ish Gar is that white.

indiana hurricane

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2010
Indianapolis
I did search all the links here in the gar section. I have deducted it is a short nose gar. :D

I would just like someone with a little more knowledge than I do, to confirm that.

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
Looks like a Shortnose in your first post of it, tougher to tell for me in the others.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
definitely a shortnose gar, nice pick up as they are not often seen at LFS! note the pattern, snout length, body shape, and size of the paired fins (particularly pelvic fins)...all pretty diagnostic of shortnose gar. good luck!--
--solomon

cichlid_starter

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2009
Indianapolis
E_americanus;4857984; said:
definitely a shortnose gar, nice pick up as they are not often seen at LFS! note the pattern, snout length, body shape, and size of the paired fins (particularly pelvic fins)...all pretty diagnostic of shortnose gar. good luck!--
--solomon
Dang, I should have charged him more for it! :grinno:

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
cichlid_starter;4858550; said:
Dang, I should have charged him more for it! :grinno:
haha, well they are infrequently seen, but their price usually does not reflect that because they aren't seen as being "as desirable" as some of the other species seen in the hobby (in terms of LFS) such as Florida or gator gars. usually their price is on par with longnose gars, perhaps slightly less in cost than FLG's from time to time.

either way, they are great fish...kind of crazy though in that they are the most likely of the gar species to break their backs!--
--solomon

indiana hurricane

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2010
Indianapolis
The Fla. gar and the Short nose gar are getting along great. Kinda worried about it for awhile before I went ahead and bought the short nose. I think I got a great deal on the TSN and the Shortnose today. I have heard nothing bad, and only positive comments of this LFS. Kinda why I stop by weekly. I just happen to work close to the 4 shop pet store though.

cichlid_starter

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2009
Indianapolis
E_americanus;4858685; said:
haha, well they are infrequently seen, but their price usually does not reflect that because they aren't seen as being "as desirable" as some of the other species seen in the hobby (in terms of LFS) such as Florida or gator gars. usually their price is on par with longnose gars, perhaps slightly less in cost than FLG's from time to time.

either way, they are great fish...kind of crazy though in that they are the most likely of the gar species to break their backs!--
--solomon
lol I know, I'm just messing with him because I gave him a good deal.

indiana hurricane;4859361; said:
The Fla. gar and the Short nose gar are getting along great. Kinda worried about it for awhile before I went ahead and bought the short nose. I think I got a great deal on the TSN and the Shortnose today. I have heard nothing bad, and only positive comments of this LFS. Kinda why I stop by weekly. I just happen to work close to the 4 shop pet store though.
It's me. the shop rocks because I'm there. ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store