geo's?

Nemesis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2009
nyc
all that to say gentlemen, what do you think these are? my thoughts were albios? I'm not sure they could be altifrons too?
Definitely Altifrons.

Sent from my Evo 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

abarilot

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2009
By the Beach!
Wow this thread sure has gotten interesting since I looked yesterday!

Fishboynick: I agree with Nemesis with G. altifrons. Below is a quick reference for distinguishing G. abalios and G. altifrons

G. altifrons: lack of facial markings, midlateral spot covers 4 scales or less (sometimes not present), and spotted caudal pattern

G. abalios: lack of facial markings, midlateral spot present (larger than 4 scales) and coincides the third bar on flank, and the caudal pattern has no distinguishable pattern (mix of spots and stripes)

peathenster

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2008
Georgia, US
To make your photos private, watermark them, copyright them, or even ask for credit in the photos caption or encode that into its metadata. However, when a photo is uploaded to a public server on a PUBLIC forum, it is safe to assume that photo is available for public use. If you are worried about your photos and need extra help on making them private, I'm sure my brother will let you join his jr. high photo class where 12 year olds are acquiring the basic knowledge needed to do so. Now, I have
spent far to much time arguing with people on something as trivial as the specifics of fish species and photo royalty laws. If my having a photo, which admittedly does not belong to me, truly bothers you (an uninvolved, unrelated third party) I may consider taking it down. Oh, you're a peepee head. Haha

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
It's not about you using my picture. I post them for all to see and use. I consider it a compliment.

It's about you giving others wrong info when you don't know what you are talking about. It's about you swearing you have G. surinamensis when you don't. It's about you saying my pic is of a G. surinamensis when it's actually a very very different species that should never be confused with G. surinamensis.

If you want to know the difference, just ask. We all share and we all receive. If you want to stay ignorant, it's your life. But this forum is for people to share and learn, not for you to pretend and try to confuse others.

peathenster

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2008
Georgia, US
OP - they are a bit too small to ID. It would be easier once they get to about ~2.5". G. altifrons is certainly a possibility. Here is a video of some young G. altifrons I bred a little while ago, at about the same size as yours. Please note that the basic traits distinguishing G. altifrons from other Geophagus species (small lateral spot, and spotty tail pattern) are only somewhat visible at this stage.
[video=youtube;k5eEpNxwbf4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5eEpNxwbf4[/video]

I apologize for derailing your thread. I've learned to ignore people like that over the years, but I don't know what got into me the other day. Really sorry.

ckcdrummer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
CA
It's not about you using my picture. I post them for all to see and use. I consider it a compliment.

It's about you giving others wrong info when you don't know what you are talking about. It's about you swearing you have G. surinamensis when you don't. It's about you saying my pic is of a G. surinamensis when it's actually a very very different species that should never be confused with G. surinamensis.

If you want to know the difference, just ask. We all share and we all receive. If you want to stay ignorant, it's your life. But this forum is for people to share and learn, not for you to pretend and try to confuse others.
Have you seen my fish? So how do you know I don't have Surinamesis? No, and I'm not trying to confuse people on purpose.. That literally makes no sense what so ever. People are wrong sometimes, that's life.

EarthEaterBob

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2011
Canada
Have you seen my fish? So how do you know I don't have Surinamesis? No, and I'm not trying to confuse people on purpose.. That literally makes no sense what so ever. People are wrong sometimes, that's life.

Its not the fact that you were wrong (which you were quite blantantly, true Surinamensis is never "common"). Its the fact that even when corrected by respected members that are gurus on Geophagus you still try to insist that you are right. A local respected store in my area brought in some Geophagus that they have labeled as "Surinamensis", I went in to look and they were obviously Altifrons or Abalios (I am leaning to Altifrons). Never trust the stores...and you did say "Those look exactly like the ones I have"

And somewhat on topic, this thread has proved helpful with expanding my knowledge on the difference of the Geophagus in the "Surinamensis" complex. Thank you ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store