Glass cutting prices.

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
What can I expect to pay to have some glass cut from an old 5ft tank. It's 5/8ths. And it want them cut into strips for Euro bracing.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
Or is it possible to use a normal glass cutter from the hardware store ?

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
No not from the hardware store. You can buy a good cutters online or buy a tile saw blade and use a skill saw and a garden hose for cooling.
I don't want to try that on my own lol. I need to cut this 120 gallon into strips to euro brace the new 300 gallon

Damurph82

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2015
Knoxville TN
I used the cheapest one I could find at Home Depot to score the glass and used a scrap piece of 2x4 to peck on the bottom side under the score line to get it breaking. I also put a slight downwards pressure on the edge of the glass hanging off the table, it seemed to help on a couple pieces. I was cutting half inch glass but I doubt it would be much different for 5/8's. Make sure to start at the end of your score and not where you started scoring from. Once it starts to break stay about an inch behind the crack and just tap it all the way down. Do not start tapping ahead of the break, I've heard it can throw your break off the score line. After it was cut I used a palm sander with 60 or 80 grit to sand the edges and knock the corners down. I might of got lucky but my breaks were surprisingly clean so all I had to do was just touch it with the sander. Overall it was way way easier than I had imagined, it was the stress from worrying about ruining it that got me down in the beginning.

Sent from my LGUS990 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
I used the cheapest one I could find at Home Depot to score the glass and used a scrap piece of 2x4 to peck on the bottom side under the score line to get it breaking. I also put a slight downwards pressure on the edge of the glass hanging off the table, it seemed to help on a couple pieces. I was cutting half inch glass but I doubt it would be much different for 5/8's. Make sure to start at the end of your score and not where you started scoring from. Once it starts to break stay about an inch behind the crack and just tap it all the way down. Do not start tapping ahead of the break, I've heard it can throw your break off the score line. After it was cut I used a palm sander with 60 or 80 grit to sand the edges and knock the corners down. I might of got lucky but my breaks were surprisingly clean so all I had to do was just touch it with the sander. Overall it was way way easier than I had imagined, it was the stress from worrying about ruining it that got me down in the beginning.

I will give it a shot then. The glass was free and I have quite a bit of extra.

Damurph82

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2015
Knoxville TN
I'll also add that if you decide to go for it to make sure you got a good grip on your cutoff because when it separates it don't give no warning.

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
Seriously not as hard as it sounds but I found that trying to score and snap 5/8 does not snap straight and leaves a burr on the bottom edge.
What I did was clamp a straight edge for a guide and for skill saw and use lots of water keep in mind it's water tape up the saw so no water gets in and keep the power cord out of the water. Seen it on youtube and tried it myself.
If you are going to score and snap buy a good cutter for thick glass or it won't work very nice with glass over 5/8

Damurph82

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2015
Knoxville TN
Yea give it a shot it's seriously easy.

And to clarify, I did not do the score and snap method. I used a 2x4 to run a crack all the way back down my score line until the glass separated. That may also be why my cuts were fairly clean. However, I did hold a slight downwards pressure on the edge of the piece hanging off the table just to get the break started.

I watched a YouTube video of some guys cutting 3/4 glass like this but they're cut looked all kinds of nasty afterwards. So like I said I may of just got lucky.

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
Yea give it a shot it's seriously easy.

And to clarify, I did not do the score and snap method. I used a 2x4 to run a crack all the way back down my score line until the glass separated. That may also be why my cuts were fairly clean. However, I did hold a slight downwards pressure on the edge of the piece hanging off the table just to get the break started.

I watched a YouTube video of some guys cutting 3/4 glass like this but they're cut looked all kinds of nasty afterwards. So like I said I may of just got lucky.

Can you elaborate a bit more on the method you used ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store