Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

Help get my pipes flowing right!!! (lol)

Discussion in 'DIY Filters' started by klutch, Mar 31, 2012.

1. klutch

klutch MFK Members

So I have a 280 that's drilled at the bottom. I have 30 gallon sump hooked to it with a submerged pump. I can't get the water to flow in and out at the same rate. Is it just fine tuning or is there a science to this????? Grrrr:cry:

2. ruddybop

ruddybop MFK Members

General Electric Maintenance
      My pump is more powerful than the overflow so I close the output ball valve on my pump until I get an even flow. Closing it a little bit at a time.
      I have an evaporation rate of about a quart of water a day so when I look at my sump the next day it looks like the pump is pumping faster than the overflow provides(water level dropped). I add a quart and the water level is at the right height again in my sump and the tank.

So, Yes you have to do some fine tuning until you figure out your settings. Another thing that happens is when my filter starts to clog in my drip tray the water fills the drip tray and the level in my sump drops. So I loose about a quart and a half in the tray when its completely clogged and the water bypasses the drip tray. Filter change time and the level is fine again.

I have a 220G with a 25G sump. I'm running dual 1 1/2" overflows T ing to 2"....It pushes about 900GPH My pump will easily push 1600 Gallons at 5ft head so I have to cut it back a little.

3. Oughtsix

Oughtsix MFK Members

Programmer
      Simple, run a pipe from the bottom bulk head up to the level you want the water in the tank to be. Then let it rip!