Help my Fly River Turtle--Is this Shell Rot/Fungal Infections?

emk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2006
US
coura;2797880; said:
Woa woa:eek: do you think this is a slider or what? Betadine or anything containing iodine IS WAY TO STRONG AND AGRESSIVE TO USE ON A FRT:nilly::screwy: And you sugest leaving the turtle there for 1 or 2 HOURS:irked: And out of the water!:eek: That will do some very bad damage all rigth:nilly::nilly:Seriously its pretty obvious to me that you dont know zinch about softshell turtles or fly river turtles..
Obviously you must correct the initial problems, such as water quality, diet, and even temperature so I don't disagree with you wholeheartedly. The pictures do show the turtle at the onset of problems, so I do admit that using less severe methods such as correcting the environment should be utilized first.

Betadine can be toxic to some aquatic turtles, but it is NOT too strong for an FRT. I have conferred with people that are very experienced turtle handlers as well as a biologist friend who specializes in reptiles.

I have used this method many times on turtles whose owners did not give the proper care to their turtles. Some of their turtles were severely injured, their shells bitten extensively. All of them recovered. In fact I am presently treating an frt that has a few severe (much worst than pictured) pits on the shell and it is healing well, albeit it is a slow process.

So please don't say this is ineffective if you haven't tried it yourself. Again, this is based not only on experienced and qualified owners, but also my own experiences over many years treating many FRT's.

Also, FRT's can stay out of the water for extended periods of time. Although they are fine completely submerged, if given the opportunity they will bask and do so regularly in the wild.

Creature

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 16, 2008
Central Florida
Hello:
As someone said earlier, The Fly River Turtle is also known as the Pitted-Shelled Turtle. They are from New Guinea though there have been a few taken from Australian waters.
They like to have flowing water but the pitting in the shell (not shell rot, there is a difference) is normal. as they grow larger it becomes more prevalent. These guys have a velvety coating over the shell plates so you do not want to rub any of that away with a toothbrush as the velvet (I think) does not grow back.
I had one of these guys for over twelve years and she was a great turtle. She was pretty big and had some pitting on the shell but not all that much. They really are very neat and healthy turtles.
Have a Great Day!!!

coura

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
europe
emk;2798684; said:
Obviously you must correct the initial problems, such as water quality, diet, and even temperature so I don't disagree with you wholeheartedly. The pictures do show the turtle at the onset of problems, so I do admit that using less severe methods such as correcting the environment should be utilized first.

Betadine can be toxic to some aquatic turtles, but it is NOT too strong for an FRT. I have conferred with people that are very experienced turtle handlers as well as a biologist friend who specializes in reptiles.

I have used this method many times on turtles whose owners did not give the proper care to their turtles. Some of their turtles were severely injured, their shells bitten extensively. All of them recovered. In fact I am presently treating an frt that has a few severe (much worst than pictured) pits on the shell and it is healing well, albeit it is a slow process.

So please don't say this is ineffective if you haven't tried it yourself. Again, this is based not only on experienced and qualified owners, but also my own experiences over many years treating many FRT's.

Also, FRT's can stay out of the water for extended periods of time. Although they are fine completely submerged, if given the opportunity they will bask and do so regularly in the wild.
I think your confusing Fly river turtles or pig nouse turtles Carettochelys insculpta with softshell turtles Trionixidae. First of pig nouse or fly river turtles only come out of the water to lay eggs, they are 100% aquatic turtles, they dont bask or anything like it in the wild and a fly river turtle that comes regulary to "bask" is allmost certainly sick or trying to avoid being atacked by other turtle. They dont need to bask as their natural home in New guinea and North aussi is constantly warm and they are perfectly adapted to it. They are much like a freshwater version of a sea turtle. They dont withstand being out of the water for to long. Aparently if they do they will get ulcers from their own weigh. Softshell turtles are much more well adapted to land locomocion and they will bask, often with the company of hard shell species.
Second that treatement works and Ive used it in hardshell turtles, but even on them I dont use that quantity and I dont let them soak on it for that period of time. That can kill or at least cause alot of pain in a turt that is already injuried. Its the same thing of you being with a alot of wounds in your skin and then someone making you soak in a tub of alcool(THAT`S GOTA HURT:grinno:) for a hour. And now making that to a fly river turtle or a softshell turtle for that mater, with their delicate skin wich probably burns even if not wonded in such a strong substance. If the infectin doesant kill them the "cure" will. The treatement I sugest Ive used MANY times in more then 16 species of turtles, and even if saltwater can get ichy its far from hurting them the way that possibly can. And then it can enter and will enter its mouth and eyes and nouse...:nilly::nilly:Its reall painfull and unconfortable for them:irked: Please reconsider you husbandry metods because as far as i go you havent earned any of my respect as a keeper:screwy:

coura

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
europe
Creature;2798861; said:
Hello:
As someone said earlier, The Fly River Turtle is also known as the Pitted-Shelled Turtle. They are from New Guinea though there have been a few taken from Australian waters.
They like to have flowing water but the pitting in the shell (not shell rot, there is a difference) is normal. as they grow larger it becomes more prevalent. These guys have a velvety coating over the shell plates so you do not want to rub any of that away with a toothbrush as the velvet (I think) does not grow back.
I had one of these guys for over twelve years and she was a great turtle. She was pretty big and had some pitting on the shell but not all that much. They really are very neat and healthy turtles.
Have a Great Day!!!
200% agreed no toothbrush and yes they have a coat like a fish and is 100% normal;) However this one really seems infection

killerlexus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2006
BEAN TOWN
get rid of all those cheap fishs or get another tank for the turtle. you dont want to keep $2 fish with your pricless turtle. that feed goldfish prob got ur turtle sick

armac

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2005
South Texas
a shame to sicken a nice turtle with a BUNCH pf petsmart reject fish

elindra

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2008
Singapore
Looks like an infection and that gravel is not suitable for FRTs
There could be bacteria build-up in the gravel too.
I suggest you remove the gravel and replace it with soft & fine coral sand or river sand if you really must have substrate.

Meantime to treat the injuries and infections, you can clean the affected areas with a mild salt solution and apply Melafix directly on it.

Let the medication stay there for about 10 mins before putting your turtle back into the tank.

Meantime, pls ensure that your water is top quality to prevent the infections from getting worse.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store