Help the Snake Guy Pick the Right Wood Sealant

eminart

Feeder Fish
May 21, 2015
Hey, guys. Years ago, I kept a simple 55gal reef tank. But, I'm here asking for help with my first love, snakes.

I'm in the planning stages of a 6'x2'x30" enclosure for my eastern indigo snake. It will be full bioactive, meaning it's basically a big vivarium/flower pot. I'll be building it from plywood, so of course it needs to be sealed. It seems like you guys would know all about that. I know there's tons of related info on this site, and I've read through a lot of it, but since my question is a bit unique in that it doesn't involve a tank that's going to be holding hundreds of gallons of water, I thought I'd just ask.

I've read about every kind of epoxy, paint, and liquid rubber on the internet, I think. But I still can't decide what I should use. I need something that will keep the moist dirt and water from watering the plants out of the wood. Easy and cheap would be fantastic. West systems epoxy doesn't seem to be either. But, I also don't want it to fail a couple of years down the road. I'm hoping to build something that is "furniture grade" and that will last. I plan to screw and glue all the wood seams.

Given my circumstances, what would YOU guys suggest? Two-part epoxy? Polyester? Some sort of paint or liquid rubber? Pond liner?

eminart

Feeder Fish
May 21, 2015
OK, how about a simpler question? WHERE in the U.S. can I get a good liquid rubber for this project?

I've read and read, and I think the liquid rubber route would be the easiest, most cost effective, and work fine for my needs. But, I can't find any of the brands that I see recommended on this site.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
I would not use liquid rubber for the enclosure. Waste materials will quickly break the rubber down. I'd recommend the 2-part marine epoxy. It'll be a durable finish and it's components are inert once cured.

Last edited:

eminart

Feeder Fish
May 21, 2015
I would not use liquid rubber for the enclosure. Waste materials will quickly break the rubber down. I'd recommend the 2-part marine epoxy. It'll be a durable finish and it's components are inert once cured.
I guess that's something I hadn't really considered. Will any "marine" epoxy work, or should it be formulated specifically for ponds and aquariums?

Last edited by a moderator:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store