Hex treatment

Dieboldly

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2015
Buena Park, CA
Just wanted to start my own forum on this since I kinda took over someone's post lol sorry about that.

If you are new to my issue, I bought a fish on Friday night and it's now Sunday. He hasn't eaten since I've had him. I was told that he was eating and that he was fine when I bought him. Now I am dealing with "hex" because a person on here told me he looked like he has hex. I looked it up and sure enough, he has hex. I just found out at 8pm so I couldn't go to any store besides Walmart lol I purchased Epsom salt and put 1 tbs in the 10gallon take where he is alone. I was told to get something called prazipro and would like to know where I can purchase this? Also any advice on how to cure this would help me out a lot! I don't want to loose him.

Thank you

In the photos, you can see a little strand of something white coming out....I found out that was a normal thing with hex. I pray I can fix this guy!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1430105927.019685.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1430105936.918897.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1430105958.786763.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1430105971.573688.jpg

Dieboldly

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2015
Buena Park, CA
Update...when I woke up this morning on 04-27-15 at 4am, I noticed a huge change in my flowerhorn! He was way more active and acted as if he was hungry like my oscars do! So it looks like the Epsom salt helped him out a little last night. I'm going to go get some prazipro today after work and soak it in his pellets with some dried bloodworms. I'll have him eat it and hopefully he will continue to get better! :) if he eats it.

jmolter86

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2015
bristol, pa
Why are you going to treat with prazipro if your fish has hex. Prazipro is for tapeworms and flatworms. If you insist on treating with meds use metro. That is for hex. If the fish is eating I would soak pellets in Epsom salt and water then feed them to the fish for 5 to 7 days. There is also a treatment called clear. It isn't sold in stores. I know a guy that does sell it in the US. If you were interested in that route let me know.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Dieboldly

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2015
Buena Park, CA
Why are you going to treat with prazipro if your fish has hex. Prazipro is for tapeworms and flatworms. If you insist on treating with meds use metro. That is for hex. If the fish is eating I would soak pellets in Epsom salt and water then feed them to the fish for 5 to 7 days. There is also a treatment called clear. It isn't sold in stores. I know a guy that does sell it in the US. If you were interested in that route let me know.

Well someone on this forum recommended it to me....so I figured that was what to use. I saw a video with someone using that "clear" product but idk how comfortable I am shoving something down my flowerhorns mouth. I don't want to do anything internal....I've looked for metro but not sure where to even buy it? Is it a human pill? Where can I get it?

Dieboldly

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2015
Buena Park, CA

Also this fish hasn't been eating for 3 days now. I'll soak some today and try again. How long do I soak the food and do I let it dry first? I put Epsom salt in the tank already and going to be doing 50% water changes a day. Least that's what I have been told to do....

jmolter86

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2015
bristol, pa
Prazi is used for parasites. Most commonly metro is sold by seachem it's called metroplex. Any decent lfs should carry it. If you can't find it go on drfosterandsmith.com and order it from them. I believe they ship out of ca so you should be able to have it by Wednesday if you order it today. Mix water and epsom salt and soak his pellets then feed them to him. The clear product isn't as bad as you think. The syringe goes down the fishes mouth with ease.

jmolter86

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2015
bristol, pa
Don't let it dry. Use a dropper and drop like 2 or 3 drips of epsom/water mixture on each pellet and let it soak it up then feed him. Imo epsom salt in the water isn't going to treat hex. Chances are the hex is going to spread to your other fish since it's spread through fish waste. So plan on treating the whole tank. If the fish isn't eating your going to either force feed the flowerhorn epsom salt or treat with metro. I know you have the link for treating hex NY RD above. I suggest you throughly read everything in there and make a decision on how you want to treat. Either with epsom salt by force feeding or with metro in the water followed up by in the food with a combo of metro/epsom.

jmolter86

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2015
bristol, pa
I would also suggest you purchase a couple different meds. As an emergency kit. Flowerhorn seem to come down with a case of hex out of no where even under perfect conditions. I would get an extra vial of metroplex, 1 kanaplex as an antibiotic and I would get prazi also. You could also look for meth blue. All these things are good to have just incase. That way if something does happen you don't have to try and find stuff or wait for meds to be shipped. You diagnos and treat immediately.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store