HOB capacity

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Yup. I am leaning towards AC110 for GPH and Emperor for cost. AC110 is 500gph, if I get two can I consider the tank has 1000gph? I don't know if that is right.

Heyguy74

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Jackson, NJ
Another thing to consider is replacement parts. Once an emperors motor goes you have to throw it out . It cannot be fixed. The Ac110's motor can be replaced. I have both filters and prefer the AC110.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Another thing to consider is replacement parts. Once an emperors motor goes you have to throw it out . It cannot be fixed.
Yes and no. I did some googling, and couldn't find anyone selling just the replacement motor. But, the motor are detachable, so they can be swapped out if you have another unit.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
kidding right? The AC110 is the easiest thing ever... It has a big tray that the sponge, bioballs (in a bag they provide) and carbon bag all sit in... Pull it up and out. Drop in bucket, take to sink. Grab some tank water to wash over you bio and then blast the sponge and carbon in the sink... I run 2 on a 125 and have 0 issues with water quality. I changed from a canister to the two ac110's for easy cleaning.
No its not the easiest thing ever. I've owned them before and its basically like cleaning a canister with a little less hassle. It's not hard to clean, but compared to any competitors cartridge based product - penguin, whisper, aqueon, whatever - it's by far the most time consuming

The op stated he was looking for something very fast to service. There are faster and easier products to clean if that's your main concern.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Cartidges cost $, which adds up to $$$$ over time. A few minutes of cleaning and the majority of my AC media is still intact a decade later. The only thing I swap out once a year or two is the finer blue/white media that I use to polish the water.

1 Sponge, then a layer of blue/white media, then a bag of bio rings.

Big Al's sells all of the replacement parts for AC 110's, including the motor.

Reactions: kcinimod

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
Amazon sells ac 110 replacement parts as well

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I haven't purchased a store bought cartridge in a long time.

I won't argue that the aquaclear has the biological filtration game down.

I mainly use hob's for mechanical filtration, oxygenation and circulation. I mainly rely on sponge filters or canisters for my stable bio filtration. But to be honest I don't think my bio loads really surpass the capabilities of most HOB filters.

uploadfromtaptalk1430540211517.jpg
Between old filter inserts and bonded pads I have not had to purchase an overpriced cartridge in ages.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
You doing it just fine. ..

Ryan_R

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2008
Athens, OH USA
If yer gonna go HOB, go AC. I say that not because I have experience with AC's, but rather my Emperor 400 experience was *awful*. The Emps must have been better filters in the past, but mine were a nightmare. I think I had 3-4 of them, all purchased between 2007 and 2010. They get loud quick.... and when they die, they die.

-Ryan

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store