How Do You Know if a Fish is Really Wild Caught?

Stump

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2008
Bichir Alley
In the case of certain species of polypterus, the difference between WC and CB is fairly easy to distinguish. Some species just simply aren't breed in captivity and HAVE to be wild caught. Other species are discernable from CB by small differences in their pattern definition and coloration, and sometimes even headshape.

For example, Polypterus delhezi that are wild caught will tend to have defined, bold stripes, while captive breed delhezis have more sporatic, blotchy patterns. But of course that isn't always the case.

cchhcc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2006
Virginia Beach, VA USA
flowerpower;3879558; said:
With certain species it is possible to distinguish W/C from tank bred (to some extent). Wild A. labiatus have the lips for example. Furthermore, with some species wild specimens tend to have more developed teeth IME. With others, the teeth develop no matter what.
Overall however, it is close to impossible to tell them apart. A well maintained tank/ farm raised specimen can look many times better than a w/c specimen that has suffered from illness, sustained injuries or been handled roughly before or during import.
On the other hand a healthy wild specimen will, more times than not, put a tank raised specimen to shame. They are a product of natural selection and that is the bottom line.
In the end, I only buy wilds from sellers who are hobbyists first, have a true passion for the hobby, and are willing to engage in in-depth conversations about the fish they sell. Secondly, I try really hard to disregard the f status of the fish I'm looking to buy. If it has the right qualities (color, form, temperament and vigor), I BUY IT! Wild or not.

Good post, but remember.... natural selection "selects" for survival, not appearance. So, what we think is beautiful and what nature thinks is beautiful aren't always the same. Many tank bred fish can indeed be more attractive to some.

And you still have to take the seller's word for it!

iloveoscars702

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2008
Canada... i wish.
bob965;3878705; said:
I tell my customers certain fish are wild so I can charge them more. But they're not wild-caught, I just mean that they act wild, as in wild-and-crazy, so I'm not really lying.
:ROFL::ROFL:

asm129

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2009
Cafe Lu
Stump;3879590; said:
For example, Polypterus delhezi that are wild caught will tend to have defined, bold stripes, while captive breed delhezis have more sporatic, blotchy patterns. But of course that isn't always the case.
See that's my point. People think of WC as being higher quality but that's not always true. Sometimes a WC fish isn't as nice as a CB one. And since WC is supposed to be high quality, you might be getting just a good looking farm bred fish.

That's why I think people should buy based on how the fish looks instead of some designation like WC or F1 that can't be proven.

To me, it's like organic food. People think of organic as being naturally healthier, but there have been a bunch of articles stating that organic is not better for you. WC fish are the same way. There's no proof that they're stronger or any better than regular old farm bred fish.

Deep Blue Sea

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2010
Alameda Ca
Atlantic Salmon is farm bred theres no such thing as atlantic salmon

south coast nelly

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
reverse;3879237; said:
no amount of experience can tell you if a fish is wild caught, you to buy from a trustworthy seller.

as the other poster ment some fish are just impossible to breed,for example up until dec 2008 channa ornatipinnis were all wild caught...now there are two people who have bred them in there tanks more than one time,so now channa keepers know its a possibility the ones in shops could be tank bred,but chances are there still wild caught until more breeding in home tanks become common knoledge..

obviously things like cichlids<not all but most breed quite happily in the home so there not so frequently imported,then you buy from trusted seller/importer like jeff rapps that build there reputation and bussiness on trust/word of mouth and honesty

Stump

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2008
Bichir Alley
asm129;3880374; said:
See that's my point. People think of WC as being higher quality but that's not always true. Sometimes a WC fish isn't as nice as a CB one.
I don't consider wild caughts "higher quality" as much as I consider them "the actual fish you would see in the wild." That's why I like them.
And since WC is supposed to be high quality, you might be getting just a good looking farm bred fish.
This depends on which family and species of fish you are talking about.

Show me some pictures of CB and WC Delhezis side by side, and I will be able to point out which is which. Ask me to do that with any other fish, and I probably wouldn't be able to.

That's why I think people should buy based on how the fish looks instead of some designation like WC or F1 that can't be proven.
This all depends on what you are seeking. If you are looking for a better looking fish, then the obvious choice is to go by how they look, but if you are looking for a fish you would actually see in the wild, and that has been in the wild, then picking a WC fish is the way to go.
To me, it's like organic food. People think of organic as being naturally healthier, but there have been a bunch of articles stating that organic is not better for you. WC fish are the same way. There's no proof that they're stronger or any better than regular old farm bred fish.
Some CB genes will get weaker as the fish inbreed (which is very common in farms), so that is actually not true.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store