how safe is fiberglass resin

bigbaddad

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2008
calgary
bigbaddad;1843399; said:
yeah it did have chlorine remover and a filter running and it was slimy rather than chalky it had the appearence of being so after i rubbed my finger accross it.

and yes it did appear after.
maybe the resin mixed with the resin and carbon filtration is the cause of this it is still uknown to me if this is toxic.

greenterra

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Most Polyester resins(waxed or unwaxed) are not safe for fish unless it is fully cured and aged.It contains styrene monomer which can be harmful to some fish.Having said that, most fibreglass fish ponds are made with polyester so with enough cure time it should be alright.However to 100% sure I would put an epoxy resin coating over it.

I will be building a ply tank soon myself.2 layers of 450 gram chopped square matting(fibreglass) using polyester resin.To be 100% safe I plan to coat it with "West System Epoxy" pigmented black.It is a good product but I don't know if you can get that over there?

bigbaddad

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2008
calgary
I have been thinking about epoxy paint that reads aquarium safe due to the tank is well sealed but am unsure about addhesion.

bigbaddad

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2008
calgary
ok i found some epoxy paint that is potable my 150 wont be an issue but my 90 scraping the old paint gave me some minor damage its osb and i put a food grade gelcoat across the base.

it was expensive then i painted 1 coat across the whole thing without using the gel coat on the sides or front.

can i coat over the epoxy paint with the gel for repair or will i have an addhesion issue. if i did i would run another coat over the gel with the paint.

bigbaddad

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2008
calgary
Well fiberglassing sure dosnt hurt if being painted over i find it actually makes a nice paintable surface the gelcoat was easier to sand and self leveling and didnt drip or sag but the fiberglass was half the price.

Also curing time is wayyyyyyyyyyy faster with the gel.

ciclids2

Feeder Fish
Nov 13, 2008
canada
hi there i'm new at this so my question is i made at structure out of styrafoam and it a bute all carved but i need to know how to cover it with silacone maby concreat and resin or something i'm not sure of any help would be awsome I'm from Canada thanke

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store