How To Create An Appealing PVC or ABS Cave

RadioctiveRisk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
Wa
In my time as an aquarium hobbyist I have struggled with finding a visually appealing hide for large aquatic species that didn't cost an arm and a leg. I would hunt local pet shops for decorations to only find little dinky hides that maybe a beta could squeeze into. If I did find a hide (usually from an online site) that was the appropriate size it was often over 25 dollars. When you need more than one hide the cost adds up fast! So with some research, trial and error I created a simple and attractive hide for larger fish and other aquatic species.
What you need
1) PVC or ABS pipe in the desired diameter (this can even be a elbow or tee shape)
2) Krylon Fusion in desired color
3) Mineral spirits
4) Sand paper and/or a Dremel Tool
5) Eye protection, face mask and gloves
6) (optional) disposable gloves for painting
WARNING: Always wear eye and respiratory protection when sanding and spray painting. Also protect your hands with durable gloves when using a Dremel.
Steps
1) Find a suitable diameter and length of Pipe.
Take into consideration what kind of critter will be using this cave. How wide and tall is you fish? or how big will they be when fully grown? If you have a longer critter like an eel or even a salamander try a elbow or tee shaped pipe. I used a 4in. diameter sanitary tee that I got at ACE for 5 bucks.
2) Sand or Dremel any sharp areas
Feel you pipe for any sharp areas or sections. These can be seams left behind by the molding and casting process used to make the pipes and connectors. Using a large and medium grit sand paper, sand these seams and sharp edges to protect your aquatic buddies. You can speed the process up by using a Dremel and a sanding bit! Watch your hands when using the Dremel to prevent any accidents. This is step is critical if you are making this for fish with delicate fins, soft unarmored bellies or long feelers that can be easily damaged.
3)Prep your cave for paint
Follow the instructions on the side of your Krylon can for preparation. This will help insure your paint sticks and doesn't flake in the future. My can said to use a small amount of mineral spirits on a disposable rag (like a paper towel) and rub down the pipe where you intend to paint. Do this in a well ventilated area. I HIGHLY recommend wearing a pair of disposable gloves to protect your hands from the mineral spirits.
4) Time to paint!
Go to a well ventilated area and apply a few coats of paint. Refer to your can of spray paint on the recommended number of coats to apply and how to apply them. I always test a few sprays on a piece of cardboard to get a feel for how the paint applies. I used Krylon Fusion Hammered finish in the Choco color on the pipe pictured in this tutorial. With this finish its critical to get the first coat light and even for a nice look. Again I recommend using a pair of disposable gloves to keep the paint off your hands and speed up clean up time.
5) Let the paint cure/set
With Krylon Fusion, it is touchable after 1 hour. Next the paint needs to set for 7 days to fully cure before it can be submerged and be aquarium safe.
6) Weathering your Pipe (optional)
This step is purely cosmetic and optional. I took my Dremel with a sanding/cutting bit and created some notches, scrapes, cuts and dings in my pipe. I was inspired by some ceramic pipe caves I had seen on Dr. Foster and Smith and wanted to replicate the old sunken debris look (without paying 40 bucks).
here is a link if you are curious
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+6635+26987&pcatid=26987
Pipe top view.jpg
Here is examples of the weathering (please forgive the green fuzzy pillow ;))

7) Wash off your new cave and put it in the tank
Give your pipe a good wash under the faucet to remove any bits of dust and fragments from sanding and cutting. Finally set it in the tank and enjoy!
felsic and da pipe.JPG

felsic and da pipe.JPG

Pipe top view.jpg

lardieleftover

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2014
san diego
Nice guide for the diy'ers! :) I have some white drainage pvc elbows for my pols I sanded down, ABS pipe floats, so be able to cover with or something of decent weight.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
That's a great Idea. I've done the same with the white lift tubes on my sponge filters. I even added a bit of green with a wide-pore sponge in some spots to resemble plant growth. Thanks for the DIY.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Here's my idea:
1. sand down entire pvc to roughen up surface
2. cover entire pvc with silicone
3. place small rocks randomly on siliconed areas and then covered all other siliconed areas with sand/gravel

Reactions: George+Sherbert

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Here's my idea:
1. sand down entire pvc to roughen up surface
2. cover entire pvc with silicone
3. place small rocks randomly on siliconed areas and then covered all other siliconed areas with sand/gravel
Tried that. Wound up looking like a tourist shop memento by the beach. All it needed to finish the effect was a pair of googly-eyes.

Reactions: badassissimo

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Tried that. Wound up looking like a tourist shop memento by the beach. All it needed to finish the effect was a pair of googly-eyes.
Haha
I think, just like everything else in life, its about the execution. If done right, it would/should blend in and not be hardly noticebale. In any case, it would still beat a plain pvc tube lying on the bottom

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Definitely looks better painted. I used to try to do make decorations that looked natural and gave up, then I decided to smash up slate tile and silicone it together. Thats where I found my calling.

uploadfromtaptalk1428506470149.jpg

Just a side note - coming from a guy who mig welds bare handed, and uses spray paint in confined spaces - always wear eye protection, especially when using a rotaty tool. All it took was one trip to the eye doc to have some shrapnel removed from my cornea. ... nobody needs to do that lol.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

RadioctiveRisk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
Wa
ooooh ouch! man mudbuttjones that sucks! I dig the slate! I always worry about sharp edges on the pieces. Can you sand thous Mudbuttjones? And That is funny ABS floats because the piece i have pictures oh here is an ABS fitting. wierd. And xraycer, I tried the silicon trick and found them kinda a pain to clean when you get some algae on it. Thank you all for the input and feedback!

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
They aren't bad. The fish are fine. It looks alot worse than it is. I took some side cutters and went over all the sharp bits before it went into the tank. There are some right angles and stuff, but nothing sharp.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store