How To Create An Appealing PVC or ABS Cave

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I tried the silicon trick and found them kinda a pain to clean when you get some algae on it.
Personally, I like the look of algae growing on my decors (not glass though), it makes for a natural look imo

bradleyagregg

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2010
pittsburgh
I've been contemplating making PVC look more "realistic". I am going to steal an idea someone posted for a DIY background. Going to cover the PVC in expanding foam and cover it with sand and a few stones. Let the foam expand and hopefully it comes out decent.

RadioctiveRisk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
Wa
I've been contemplating making PVC look more "realistic". I am going to steal an idea someone posted for a DIY background. Going to cover the PVC in expanding foam and cover it with sand and a few stones. Let the foam expand and hopefully it comes out decent.
Sounds interesting! Let us know how it turns out.

oSEAdCichoMike83

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2015
Schaghticoke New York
I used a coarse flat metal file the other day for broken slate. It worked really well. Pretty annoying sound but don't have to worry about my cichlids getting cut. The slate doesn't look as cool after being smoothed out though IMO

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Definitely looks better painted. I used to try to do make decorations that looked natural and gave up, then I decided to smash up slate tile and silicone it together. Thats where I found my calling.

View attachment 1069362

Just a side note - coming from a guy who mig welds bare handed, and uses spray paint in confined spaces - always wear eye protection, especially when using a rotaty tool. All it took was one trip to the eye doc to have some shrapnel removed from my cornea. ... nobody needs to do that lol.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I've seen that in a picture of your tank Mudbutt - that looks cool and I like that design!

blue fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
They aren't bad. The fish are fine. It looks alot worse than it is. I took some side cutters and went over all the sharp bits before it went into the tank. There are some right angles and stuff, but nothing sharp.

Mudmut
They aren't bad. The fish are fine. It looks alot worse than it is. I took some side cutters and went over all the sharp bits before it went into the tank. There are some right angles and stuff, but nothing sharp.

Mudbuttjones the slate looks awsome. Cant

coolkeith

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2005
Detroit
It will float. I'd use concrete or epoxy clay instead. Just use the PVC pipe as a mold.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store