how to preserve fish or anthing else

SteveR

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2008
Scotland
Freezers full? Bin them? What are you keeping them for?
Always find this extremely weird, ppl obsessed with storing dead creatures. Would you keep your mum or dad in a freezer if they died? Or your dog? I'd hope not...

coreyweinkoetz

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2008
manitowoc,WI
Always find this extremely weird, ppl obsessed with storing dead creatures. Would you keep your mum or dad in a freezer if they died? Or your dog? I'd hope not...

:banhim:Really WTF doesn't Scotland have museums.
"I think men wearing dresses is a little weird"
:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

SteveR

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2008
Scotland
coreyweinkoetz;2092394; said:

:banhim:Really WTF doesn't Scotland have museums.
"I think men wearing dresses is a little weird"
:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:
Yes but you aren't a museum are you? I don't know your definition of a dress but I am worried.

amctaxidermy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2007
PA
coreyweinkoetz;2059006; said:
I have a freezer full at work and 1/2 full at home. way to costly I've already talked to three differant guys and they dont think they can keep the color up in the bright salt water angels and triggers I want museum quality thanks though

I had to reply to this because it actually made my blood boil. I am a part time taxidermist and I have to say, you need to talk to some other guys because apparently they have no clue about fish taxidermy if they "can't keep the color up." ALL fish are repainted after taxidermy work is done on them, so no matter what they looked like when they were alive (or freshly dead for that matter) once they are mounted and dried they turn a sickly brown or gray color, and its up to the taxidermist to restore the colors to them using paint. There are now iridescent paints and candy neon colors developed for saltwater fish taxidermy! If you want museum quality find someone who can make casts from your fish and provide you with a fiberglass replica which will last forever. Generally saltwater fish are replicas anyway. You state you want museum quality, then you are going to have to PAY for it. You can take a fish to Joe the stuffer down the street and have it mounted with low cost supplies, it will look good for a few years until it eventually bleeds oil, starts to chip paint, and smell. OR you could pay someone what they deserve to do a "museum quality" job that you want and have it last a lifetime. Be prepared to pay $15-20 or more an inch for the really top quality guys.

Yes, specimens can be housed in alcohol, formeldahyde, and various other carcinogenic substances but your best bet is to have the fish mounted by a professional if you want it to look lifelike. That is all. /end rant lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store