How to waterproof a plywood aquarium

notanatheist

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2009
Orygun with them treehuggers
A client of mine uses 3M 5200 on sailboat hulls if that's any indicator of strength :) I looked at it but decided on GE 1 Silicon at $4 a tube vs. 5200 @ about $15 a tube.

A for purchase, Ames Blue Max sells through Ace Hardware. If you don't have one near you then they will sell direct. $150 for 5 gallons, $49 per 1 gallon. The 5 gallon was professionally packed and shipped very affordabley.

bigbaddad

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2008
calgary
why isn't this at the top the diy tank page i completely overlooked until it came up looking for info on sweet water epoxy.

briflikk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2009
Oakville, Ontario
Also, you wrote "3M 5200 has been found to work best for the viewing panes installation when using these products". Has anyone actually done any tests to confirm adherence of 3M 5200 to liquid rubber or vice versa? I know you said that you were going to but I never saw any updates in your build thread. As far as I know butyl or polyurethane caulk have been recommended by the liquid rubber reps. 3M 5200 is a great product and would probably work well but I personally haven't seen any comparisons or build journals that prove that it works "best".
I havent use the 3m 5200 but I did use the GE 2 XST paintable formula, then sealed it with 6 coats of Zavlar since the silicon isnt safe for fish, my tank has been up and running for a year and a half without any issues

Mysta513

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2011
Cincinnati Ohio
blue seal looks promising.. has anyone ever tried it?

sam8fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
Minnesota
i have found that pond liners can sometimes put moisture into the wood and rot it out, my father works at the MN Zoo aquarium department and on their large concrete dolphin aquarium they used an epoxy paint

tibberous

Feeder Fish
Jul 2, 2012
Would plastidip fall under the category of liquid rubber? You can actually buy it in 5 gallon contains with UV resistance.

Anyone else try it on a real tank?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store