Hybrid Crayfish!

Otto_VonBacon

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2008
Montgomery TEXAS
How are the little critters doing? they become a nusance yet?

black_sun

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2008
New Jersey
Otto_VonBacon;2872342; said:
How are the little critters doing? they become a nusance yet?
Nah, they're just feisty little cuties, that's all. ^_^

This one is my favorite. The hybridization (I think) caused him some real birth defects, but he's turned out to be a real bruiser of a crayfish. Sweet in the hand, mean in the tank lol.

Then there's this one which has no real color or patterning yet. Maybe an albino. Maybe a weird coloration. Neat looking though.

How are your critters doing?

Otto_VonBacon

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2008
Montgomery TEXAS
They've aged, not as cute anymore :(
The one that got attacked died unfortunately, looked like she had a hard time molting. :(

They've made my tank cozy for them, tearing up decor and digging out the corner.
Even my pleco pitched in and ripped up the newly planted plants.

They just sit around all day, sticking their claws up at anyone who passes. Dave became a darker blue and just sits unseen for most the day in her pot.

they occasionally decided to climb up the 12" pleco, he doesn't seem to mind though.

The ciclids in the 30 gallon are getting feisty though so we might have to get rid of the guppy's (can't wait) and put the ciclids in the 55 gallon. Not sure what i will do with the crayfish, i know the ciclids would tear them appart if i let them stay in there. I've grown to attached to get rid of them although mom hates them. Probably get a 40 gallon or something and put them in there.

That one cray of yours looks like they've got a hunched back. will be interesting to see how that turns out.

And that white one may just have not acquired color yet, some of mine were whitish-blue tint, later on developed more brown and blue.

black_sun

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2008
New Jersey
Haha, see... I gave up on planted plants in my tanks. Little crays, catfish and plecos don't leave them be. I have floating plants now! Can't dig up what isn't buried! :p

What kind of cichlids are you keeping? And yea, the crays would get torn apart. I wanted to keep some with my Dragon's Blood cichlids but even as small as they were, I was afraid someone would get the short end of the deal (probably the poor crays).

Otto_VonBacon;2873036; said:
That one cray of yours looks like they've got a hunched back. will be interesting to see how that turns out.
Yea, he does. His shell bubbles up in three spots on his back. His claws also don't really grow (it's starting to make him look like a T-Rex, big body... itty-bitty claws lol) and he's got three legs that never develop all the segments so they don't work. But he's growing fast and doing pretty good all things considering.

Otto_VonBacon;2873036; said:
And that white one may just have not acquired color yet, some of mine were whitish-blue tint, later on developed more brown and blue.
Yea, I'm leaning towards that. I had a few others similar (darker though) that eventually shaded red, brown or blue like the others. This one is hanging on though lol. We'll see eventually ^_^

Otto_VonBacon

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2008
Montgomery TEXAS
We got a bumblebee and kenyi in there, so far the only thing they let live in there with them was each other.

And ya, most of our plants are floating, we have a plastic one they use as a ladder, but there getting so heavy most the time they just make it halfway and bend the plant down.

Otto_VonBacon

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2008
Montgomery TEXAS
hows that web site going? if you need a moderator you know who to call... ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store