I am not so sure about my flowerhorn probably infected (hexamita)

Al Cat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2015
The Republic Of The Feelippines
My old flowerhorn had hexamita (i didn't knew it had it). i gave it to a friend of mine who is more experienced in the field then me. he noticed something about my fish it was acting weird and then it pooped out some white and yellowish fluid. it was the hexamita parasite... before i gave it to him i got a new flowerhorn which i placed in my old flowerhorns tank (which i didn't clean...) for a about 30 mins or so my friend texted me and told me that my old flowerhorn had hexamita... i then quickly took my new flowerhorn from the tank and placed him in a bucket. I then proceed to clean the tank, filter, and decor with bleach; wash, sun dried, and rinsed making sure no trace of the bleach was left. i then placed my flowerhorn back to its tank... im not so sure if it was infected so i then added 1/2 a cup of salt & a tablet of metronidazole just to be sure... i have not repeated the process for 2 days since then.
i thought there was a hexamita going out of its head... but i wasn't sure because it ate a little a day after i treated it, it was very thin for a flowerhorn, and it was a molted strain flowerhorn... had some red allover it... So please help i don't know what to do... i started adding methylene blue to help it fight the hexamita... any advice would help me very much so...

Sorry for bad paragraphing, sentencing, and english
and thanks in advance...
will upload images tommorrow...

calichai

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2009
socal, oc
Sorry to hear about the hex. Personally I wouldn't had cleaned out the whole tank like that. It will cause your tank to re-cycle, since all the beneficial bacteria was also removed. I'd add a used filter sponge into the filter if you have one available. Hex is a troublesome , but extra stress from being in a bucket and un-cycled tank is even worse, in my opinion. I'd hold of on meds, asides from metro now, and perform small water changes per meds instruction. Also posting in the disease section may get you more advice or asking a mod to move this post there. Pics help as well. Good luck with him.

Al Cat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2015
The Republic Of The Feelippines
thnx i'll post this on the disease section then.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store