ID Please

knobhill

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
IN A PLACE
Thanks. I did a quick search but can't seem to find much info on them. What does adult coloration look like?

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
LOL c'mon bruh caribemob! Vennie?!? C'mon man that's a juvenile Atabapo II "fire"!

looks to be under 5-6 inches atm. They're more sensitive to the water quality than most pikes and can catch HITH more easily. I'm sure if you keep water clean and consistent and feed well he'll be just fine. I had a big 12-13 inch male once that already had decently bad HITH but enough good food and clean water stopped it. I'd also get him some dithers... My guy was shy and didn't eat much until I added dithers.. he was a whole different fish afterwards lol

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
Also called Ladder pikes which is more appropriate than "fire" pike, they don't get near as close as red as atabapo I... still cool they get brick red and have a more intricate pattern. Check out Jan's atabapo IIs in the Crenicichla section easily one of the nicest large group I've ever seen pics of

knobhill

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
IN A PLACE
They are asking $45 for him. I'm not sure if I'm gonna buy. I'm really looking for a yellow species of pike

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
$45 is a good price. If you want a yellow sp. you're going to have to pay more, I have a 7 inch tapajos i red, a inirida I blood tear I may or may not might sell.... They're both very very yellow

knobhill

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
IN A PLACE
I'm not opposed to paying more for a single species. I am only going to have one pike cichlid for my monster community tank. It is an 1100g with the following fish: Silver arowana, peacock bass, red tail gourami, 2 niger cats, flagtail prochilidous, 3 odoe african pike, indo datnoid, and a fly river turtle.

I also plan on adding a female festae or rose queen cichlid and possibly a bichir.

I have never had a pike cichlid but they seem like awesome fish!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store