If you cant beat'm.. give up. my 120 Mn. Native tank rebuild.

The_Nuge

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2011
St. Paul Mn.
Im going to do a big tear down and water change soon. (i wish there was a service to come clean tanks n filters)

My rocks are on top of my drift wood now so they would get water logged, its been about a year now so ill assume the drift wood will stay down for the most part.I might get rid of some of the large rocks and replace them with smaller ones. its nerve racking having 20lb rocks in a glass tank holding 100+ gallons of water in my living room. im going to go with fake plants this time(suggestions?) after all that crap ill take new pics and repost.. maybe even some new stock we'll see.

get this though.. i have the marineland C-530 filter, and i thought i had rid of my snail issue.. the snals are not seen in my tank due to the fish im sure, but they are in my filter and they compromise the o ring seal! SO.. when the poer company shut my power off while i was gone all day it leaked about 15 gallons through my hard wood floors.. snails!!! i hate them!! anyway anybody got any beef with that filter otherwise?

Sawfish

Feeder Fish
Dec 16, 2011
Gainesville, Florida
I believe redear sunfish are not native to MN, but if you ever had the chance to obtain one it might be worth a try for the snails. They eat mollusks, including snails. Not sure how effective they would be but might be worth a try and are also native to the United States (although, again, not to MN unless they were introduced there). Also, another idea is to remove the walleye for a few months and populate the tank with several crayfish, which should prey upon the snails. In all likelyhood though, the snails are there for the life of the tank.

Great to see another fishkeeper focused on native fishes!

The_Nuge

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2011
St. Paul Mn.
my green sun fish and bullheads take care of the snails in the tank, you dont see any in the tank itself. the snails are all in my canister filter. it sounds odd but I have not seen a snail in my tank in almost a year! (since introducing the sun fish) im sure they are there in some form but only visable in the canister.

Pyramid_Party

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2008
Monterey, CA
Put bottle traps in there with bait and collect big amounts of snails like that. You probably won't get them all but you can reduce the numbers greatly.

The_Nuge

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2011
St. Paul Mn.
Bottle trap in the filter ? Did I mention the snails are not in the tank?

I think people skim read the posts and see the word snail and proceed to post a generic snail remedy..lol

snails are in the canister filter only....

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
Im going to do a big tear down and water change soon. (i wish there was a service to come clean tanks n filters)
there are. there used to be a sponsor here at MFK for tank rentals, and they would come out and do maintenance on your tanks too.

if your snails are totally in the filter then just a tear down and scrub to get the eggs off the filter surface combined with completely new media should take care of them.
I've recently discovered blackworms eat snails, I don't know if they would survive in the filter though.

Owain4

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2011
amongst the trees
I've found a few snails in one of my emp400 on my 72gallon bow front. I've seen one in the tank once and it was removed (squish XD) but i've never seen them in the tank i assume the 2 small sunfish eat them, i've seen them many times staring at logs and etc looking for movement and picking at stuff.

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
Bottle trap in the filter ? Did I mention the snails are not in the tank?

I think people skim read the posts and see the word snail and proceed to post a generic snail remedy..lol

snails are in the canister filter only....
They might still be in the aquarium, but they're probably few and far between in there thanks to the sunfish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store