In depth Mudskipper Care needed.

Jessica Dring

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2007
Liverpool, UK.
As above!
I did a search, but none of the threads I found had answers to all the questions I have. I've been trying to research these critters, but I'm getting very confused by the different ones available and the best ones suited to captivity!

Me and my BF want to set up a very nice, realistic natural setup for these critters. We would like sand substrate, with mangrove roots and a few places for them to come onto land. The mangrove roots won't be real, my BF designs and builds naturalist vivaria and aquaria on the side to his job, so its gonna be a real nice project.
We had in mind a 4x2x2 BUT

The size of the tank isn't an issue..we can give as much space as they will need.

We really wanted the larger species, I think those are the African ones? Please correct me if I'm wrong. But I read they are very terratorial, but we definately want to keep more than one! I believe these are the most colourful also? Would it be feesable to keep a small group of these in a larger setup, most importantly comfortable?

If so, could anyone experienced with these guys either point me into the direction of a very detailed caresheet for this particular species, or help me with some detailed information about them? And reccomended tank size with number of inhabitants? That would be a great help. Scientific name would really help too, as I haven't been able to find any solid information on these guys.

I'm a complete newbie with Brackish too - as I'm aware all of the species require Brackish? I heard of one that could be kept in freshwater, but if they are more comfortable in Brackish then thats what I'll do.
I'm familiar with water quality having kept Rays and Arrowana's, but all I've ever kept has been Freshwater, so if there is a good thread that explains setting up a brackish setup for noobs, that would be awesome too!

I plan on taking my time on researching and creating the setup quite a while before I get these.

Thankyou in advance! :)

SalmonAfrica

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2008
South Africa
Hey, I'm sure I can help a bit.

The African species is Periophthalmus barbarus (well the one I'm thinking of). Here's a little factsheet, if that helps a bit.

I'd think you'd be able to keep at least 2 in there, but don't push for numbers. They grow to a decent size and, as you said, become territorial, especially as they get older. If you want lots of fish in your tank, go for the Dwarf Indian Mudskipper, Periophthlamus novemradiatus, which aren't as territorial and stay smaller.

It would be better to keep them in brackish - as I've noticed, they last longer in these conditions. You don't have to do very strong brackish, but you don't have to be shy with the salt either. They will take anything from fresh to marine, so you can find your medium.

Bogwoodbruce

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2007
Rotherham, UK
www.facebook.com
Im keeping a trio of the african ones, they do better in pairs as theres always 2 up and about the other hides. I use a lot of ocean rock to create high and low points and it helps buffer my PH.

They arent really all that picky about salt content, just dos it up right the first time, i add a handful of salt with every WC.

Ill try and find you some better info jess.

Dragon cqzzzzz<

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Illinois
Brackish is easy. All you need is marine salt (like Instant Ocean) and a hydrometer or refractometer to measure salinity. You just add some salt to the new water with each water change, and measure it and add until you've got the desired specific gravity. 1.005-1.0015 is the range that's most often considered brackish.
Larger species aren't necessarily more colorful. The dwarves are beautiful as well. Just go with whatever you like best. Don't crowd larger ones. Give them plenty of land surface to crawl and climb on. Soft substrate too.

Jessica Dring

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2007
Liverpool, UK.
Sorry for the late reply..thanks for the info everybody!
Keep it coming if possible :D
x

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Jessica Dring;2377790; said:
Sorry for the late reply..thanks for the info everybody!
Keep it coming if possible :D
x
Jess- My setup below, two of the Africans (Barbarus)... I has added wood/turtle docks etc... since the post to cut down on the aggression. "So far" it has been a great setup for them. Tank size is 55 gallon but I'm preping a larger 90G over the next couple of months. I'm no expert but care has been really easy. Clean water, daily blood worm or black worm and twice per week cricket feedings.

I have noticed that the type of food seems to be one of the components of keeping this species from fighting with one another. The more cricket feedings I give them, the less they chase and display at one another IMO.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170957

Hope that gives you an idea...

wolfsburgfanatic

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 17, 2008
Frederick, MD

bordemstirs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
California
Hi, I'm new to the forum, but i joined because i have a few mud skipper questions. I have a Trio of Africans in a 55 gal, with a few bumblebee gobys, mollys and a guppy (we are hoping for muppys.) Lot's of land and a planted tank.
Anyway my questions are:
Everything I read suggested skips aren't avid fish eaters. I learned this is not true, at all. What is the max size my guys can consume? They ate my molly fry but seem to struggle with krill the same size...

My trio is two males and a female (not my choice) they are all healthy and seem happy and active. But one of the boys spends almost all of his time hiding underwater. He comes out of his stump at night and for feeding, but generally just stays under water. Is this okay? Is it just his personality?

Does anyone have any advice for making your skips more handle able? I hand feed them often, and the two (not the above mentioned) let me give them the occasional pet. The second we come in the room they get excited and come to see what we are doing, and occasionally fight for the best people viewing spot lol.

Lastly, I have a variety of plants in the water, but I would like to get a forest-y look above ground as well. Right now all I have is an ivy, a lucky bamboo (which is too tall and will need to be taken out,) I have man groves but they haven't got leaves yet. Anyone have advice on a plant that can survive sand and high humidity?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store