Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

Iridescent Shark / Pangasius Catfish

Discussion in 'Catfish' started by Sarcosuchus, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Sarcosuchus

Sarcosuchus MFK Members

Does anyone have the Iridescent Shark / Pangasius Catfish? I see some in home aquariums, doesn't the Iridescent Shark / Pangasius Catfish grow up to 300cm which is like 10 feet long? How do you handle such a monster catfish? I checked the Wikipedia and this one says they can only grow up to 4 feet. Can someone explain? It even says that due to small sized tanks, most iridescent sharks kept in home aquaria grow to only six to twelve inches in length.

???:confused:

That's crazy, and it also says ,"As a rule of thumb, an iridescent shark requires a minimum tank size of 150 cm (5 feet). Schools require even larger tanks." Are there different species of the Iridescent Shark / Pangasius Catfish or just one? How do I differenciate the species? What do you feed them? Thank you for your time.:)

Attached Files:

2. X24

X24 MFK Members

there are a few differnent pangasius catfish, the largest being gigas which is ginormous! its known as the giant mekong catfish and can get up to 700lbs.

most if not all of them in the fishkeeping hobby are not this behemoth, but one of the smaller pangasius....thats not to say they get small at all. most still should get in the order of 3-4 feet, but people don't get them big enough tanks, and therefore cannot keep the water good and it stunts them a lot. These guys are amazing fish, but they just don't belong in an aquarium most of the time.

3. Oddball

Oddball Paleoaquarist
      Staff Member

Process Control Engineer; Hatchery Owner/Operator
      There are several different species within the genus. The common iridescent shark (Pangasius hypophthalmus) may reach 4 ft. However, the common adult size is in the 2.5-3ft range. Definitely manageable in large home aquaria. The paroon shark (in the last pic) grows much larger.

Attached Files:

• pang.jpg
        pang.jpg
        File size:
        180.9 KB
        Views:
    4. rottbo

rottbo MFK Members

general contractor
      mm I wish I could get a sanitwogsi but I guess my two hypopthalmus will have to do for now

5. Sarcosuchus

Sarcosuchus MFK Members

Thanks a lot guys, that helps a lot. Now how am I to be sure which Pangasius Catfish I baught?:redface:

Yes I just baught one a few hours ago, he looks awesome and is swimming all around nonstop. I just fed him tubiflex and blood worms, he has a high dorsal fin that really gives him an entire Shark-like looks. He is just about 3 inches or just a little over, he has no stripes...just dark top with silvery sides with black edges of fins and tail. That tail looks awesome too, forked and big like a shark's.

Oddball, I am going to check those names online to get live specimen pictures, maybe I can guess which one I have baught. My digicam isn't with me right now or else I could just take a pic. Thanks again!

6. rottbo

rottbo MFK Members

general contractor
      how much did you pay for it that will also help to ID I bet its a hypothalmus that is the most common one available

7. Sarcosuchus

Sarcosuchus MFK Members

12 Ringgit Malaysia, that would be over 3 USD. The Catfish is also native to Malaysia. Any idea?:irked: Checking Hypothalmus online...

8. rottbo

rottbo MFK Members

general contractor
      oh well if you live in malaysia then it could be any of them they are all readily available there

9. Sarcosuchus

Sarcosuchus MFK Members

True.:irked:

10. X24

X24 MFK Members

hope you have a big tank for this magnificant beast! pics wouldn't hurt.