Is this a green sunfish?

Anthony Nolet

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2012
Oregon
Just caught this little guy in a ziplock bag I found in the river lol. I found a dead green sunfish in the river a few days ago after not seeing one around my house in 3 years and it was a little bigger than this guy so it was easier to ID. He's about 2 inches and was just put in the tank and little bit ago so kind of stressed

image.jpg

Anthony Nolet

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2012
Oregon
There are a bunch of green sunfish x pumpkinseed hybrids around so I'm hoping this isn't another one of those. (They're awesome fish but I have 2 good sized ones already)

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
There's definitely some green in there which can be seen by the long body and large mouth but I doubt it's pure green with the lack or bars and inconsistent blue coloration which are both pumpkinseed traits. However it may be a pure green, I doubt it though.

Anthony Nolet

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2012
Oregon
The other hybrids have a lot more of the blue on their faces than this guy. The blue lobster isn't helping him calm down either . I'll take more pictures later when he's more relaxed.

warmouth

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2008
missouri
He definitely has some Green Sunny in him, but at that young age I cant tell if hes a pure strain. The local Green sunfish here in Missouri look differently depending on the area you get them from.

Anthony Nolet

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2012
Oregon
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Do they look like any of these in Missouri? (I found these on the internet not in the river) these are all pretty awesome looking fish

Reactions: warmouth

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
He looks like a pure greenie to me.

Anthony Nolet

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2012
Oregon
That's what I'm hoping for. I hadn't seen them or bluegill in the river the last 3 years or so and now suddenly I find 3 of these hopeful green sunfish and more than 20 bluegills in the last 2 weeks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store